Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls
Oh boy, are you guys as busy as I have been so far this summer? I feel like I’m losing entire days and when I get ready for bed, I haven’t any idea what I’ve gotten accomplished for the day! Don’t worry, I’m not totally losing it, it’s just that play dates and swimming and all around outdoor kid playing, takes up more time that you would think. The next two weeks promise to be even busier since we’ve thrown swim lessons in the mix for my 5 year old.
This past weekend, my husband and I actually got out. At night. Without kids. We were celebrating my brother’s 40th birthday. My sister in law threw him a backyard BBQ party. I was in charge of bringing a few appetizer type things, so of course I brought my new favorite Layered Ranch Taco Salad. I also made a Mango, Pineapple & Avocado salsa, which was inspired by my Mango Salad. It was a great time and we got to catch up with all the guys that my brother has been friends with since we were kids.
Since I may or may not have had
one or two several drinks throughout the night, I was feeling extra lazy on Sunday. I didn’t even get around to grocery shopping Sunday, which is my day to shop. I knew that since it was hot out, I wanted to pull out the Crock Pot. I had been wanting to transform a recipe I saw a while back into a crock pot meal, so this gave me an excuse to go ahead and finally do it. So the Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls were created.
The best part of using the crock pot is that for once, I spent a full Sunday outside floating around in the pool. My husband was home so he was playing with the kids in the pool, which freed me up to literally just lay there and float. Pretty much the best thing ever.
The recipe that inspired this dish is Summer BBQ Quinoa Salad by How Sweet It Is. You’ll see that it’s quite different, but nonetheless, it’s where the inspiration came from, so I like to give the shout out.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ C chicken broth
- 1 C BBQ sauce
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 11 oz can corn, drained
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 C cooked quinoa
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Optional: diced avocado for garnish
- Place chicken in crockpot. Pour in chicken broth. Sprinkle with paprika, onion, powder and garlic powder. Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
- After four hours, remove chicken and shred. Pour liquid out of crock pot. Place shredded chicken back in crockpot. Add BBQ sauce, red onion, black beans, corn and bacon. Stir well to coat chicken. Cover and cook on low another 30 minutes.
- Add quinoa to chicken mixture. Stir in cilantro and green onions. Spoon into bowls and serve. Garnish with chopped avocado if desired.