Serve these Air Fryer Broccoli Cheese Egg Rolls as a party appetizer, lunch, after-school snack or really, any time of day.
I have had such an overwhelming positive response to my air fryer breakfast egg rolls. This got me thinking "what else can I stuff into an egg roll wrapper".
I was going to use leftover spinach dip but then I forgot I had mushrooms in the fridge so I used my spinach dip to make stuffed mushrooms. Since I always have a bag of frozen broccoli in the freezer, broccoli it would be.
This post contains affiliate links.
Steps to prep egg rolls
Prepare the broccoli -
Try to remove as much water as you can after it's cooked.
I let mine sit in a strainer in the sink while I was working on the cheese sauce and then patted it dry with paper towels. Roughly chop the broccoli and place in a bowl.
Cheese Sauce -
Melt butter, add flour and milk. Season and stir in cheeses. I used a white cheddar mixed with provolone. You can swap the provolone for mozzarella if you wanted. If I'm being honest, I only used provolone because I had a bunch of it in the fridge and I had no other plans for it.
Combine the broccoli and cheese sauce in a bowl.
Assemble Egg Rolls
If you are more of a visual learner, there are more detailed photos on egg roll assembly in my post for breakfast egg rolls, head over to see it.
Lay an egg roll wrapper down with a point facing you. Wet edges with water. Plop some filling just below the center.
Take the point closest to you and fold over the filling, You want to sort of push the filling back towards you to get any air out of there. Then you fold in the sides and then roll forward again.
Spray the rolls with a little oil using a mister or brush on a little oil with a pastry brush. Place in air fryer basket, seam side down and cook at 400 F for 8 minutes. Flip over using tongs and cook again for 3 minutes.
Serve as is or with a side of marinara or ranch dressing for dipping. I eat as is.
I was very surprised my picky 8 year old devoured these too. She liked them so much she wanted in on helping with the photos. She was very excited to be able to show off her nails that she just had done with her new nail stamper.
- any kind of cheddar or cheddar blend can be subbed for the white cheddar
- mozzarella can be subbed for the provolone
- fresh cooked broccoli can be used instead of frozen
- fresh diced onion can be used in place of dehydrated
- always taste your mixture to adjust salt and pepper as needed
Printable Recipe Card
Air Fryer Broccoli Cheese Egg Rolls
- 1 T butter
- 2 T flour, all purpose
- 1 C milk I used whole milk
- ¾ C shredded white cheddar cheese (can be subbed with cheddar, cheddar jack etc)
- ½ C chopped or shredded provolone cheese (can be subbed with mozzarella)
- 1 T dehydrated onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- olive oil (mist or just enough to brush on egg rolls)
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- Prepare broccoli according to package instructions. Remove as much water from broccoli as possible. Roughly chop and set aside in a bowl.
Prepare Cheese Sauce
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add onions, garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to cook for just a few minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and incorporated into sauce. Taste for salt and pepper and add more if needed.
- Combine cheese and broccoli in a bowl.
Assemble Egg Rolls
- Place an egg roll wrapper down with point facing you.
- Wet the edges of the wrapper with water. You can do this with your fingertip of a pastry brush.
- Spoon some of the broccoli mixture on to the wrapper just below the center of wrapper.
- Fold the bottom point up and over filling. Work it so that it's tight and no air pockets. Fold the sides up next, also try to get them pulled in tight without air pockets. Fold the final corner up and around the roll. Set aside seam side down and assemble the rest of the rolls.
- Arrange 4-5 rolls in air fryer basket, leaving a little room between each roll. Apply a small amount of oil to rolls by using a misting spray bottle or brush it on with a pastry brush.
- Set air fryer to 400 F and timer to 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, use tongs to carefully flip over and cook an addition 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Serve as is or with marinara or ranch dressing for dipping.