These Air Fryer Potato Skins are just as crispy and delicious as a deep fried version, just with a tad less guilt.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links - support this page by visiting our sponsors and affiliate links
My son recently discovered a new love of fried foods, specifically fried mac and cheese balls and potato skins. As a fun project we decided to tackle trying to make homemade potato skins in the air fryer together. They turned out pretty darn good, so here is how it's done:
- use small to medium sized potatoes
- clean and dry the potatoes (I like to use a simple veggie scrubber)
- potatoes should be uniform in size and/or shape for even cook time
Related Recipe: Air Fryer Bacon
Place clean and dry potatoes in air fryer set to 400 F and set timer for 20 minutes. Cook time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes. Potatoes are ready when easily pierced with a fork. If not ready after 20 minutes, add 5 minutes and check again. Continue with this until potatoes are done.
Carefully remove the potatoes from the air fryer and place on a cutting board. Allow to cool just enough to be able to handle safely.
Once cooled a bit, slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out about half of the potato. Be careful not remove all the potato or to break through the skin.
Turn potatoes over on cutting board and brush (or spray with a misto) with olive oil and season with salt. Flip potatoes back and also give the hollowed out part a quick spritz or brush with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
Place the potatoes back in the air fryer at 400 F for 5 minutes. This will help get the skins nice and crispy.
Evenly distribute the cheese and bacon into each potato.
Once all potatoes are filled, air fry again at 400 F for another 5 minutes.
Serve them up while they're still hot and crispy!
Related Recipe: Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers
Optional Topping Ideas for Air Fryer Potato Skins
- green onion
- sour cream
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer
- 6 small to medium potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, prepared and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt, kosher
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese (or a blend)
- Prep the potatoes by washing them well and drying. Place in air fryer set to 400 F for 20 minutes. Check the potatoes, if they are easily pierced with a fork, they are ready. If they are not, continue to cook in 5 minute increments until ready.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half, lengthwise. Scoop out half of the potato. Be careful not to cut through the skin.
- Turn hollowed out potatoes over and brush with oil. Season with salt. Flip the skins back over and brush the inside also with oil and season with salt and pepper. Air Fry again at 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute the cheese and bacon into each potato. Air Fry at 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Serve will hot and crispy.
- If desired garnish with green onion, parsley or cilantro and serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole or even warmed marinara.