These Air Fryer Potato Skins are every bit as delicious as the deep-fried restaurant appetizer but so much less messy to make.
If you have leftover baked potatoes you can use those but today I'm going to walk you through how to make Potato Skins in the air fryer totally from scratch.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Crispy, bacon-filled, cheesy potato skins are perfect for tailgating, big game day get-togethers, game night snacks, after-school snacks or holiday appetizers. I've even been known to serve these up as a side dish / snack on pizza night.
My family is big on potatoes, so if yours is too, you'll definitely want to try making these potato skins.
Once you realize how easy it is to cook potatoes in the air fryer, you'll want to try similar potato recipes like my Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes or my most popular recipe for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes!
- Potatoes - medium sized - If using a big potato, cook time might be a bit longer.
- Bacon - cooked. I always make my bacon in the air fryer.
- Cheese - Any shredded or cheddar blend works well. I like using one that has some Monterey Jack in there because it melts to well.
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Scrub the potatoes clean. I like to do this with a vegetable scrubber. Dry them well.
Air fry the clean potatoes for about 20 minutes.
TIP: Potatoes are done when easily pierced with a fork.
Carefully, remove potatoes from the air fryer (I like to use nylon-tipped tongs) and place on a cutting board to cool.
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice the potatoes length-wise in half.
Scoop out about half of the flesh. Exactly how much potato you remove is personal preference. Be careful not to go too low though, you don't want to rip the skin.
Turn potato slices upside down on cutting board and brush the skins with olive oil and season with a sprinkle of salt. Flip the potatoes over and lightly brush the inside of the potato with a little oil too and season with salt and pepper.
Pop the oiled potato skins in the air fryer for a few minutes to help crisp it up.
Add the bacon and the cheese to the potatoes. You can do this while the potatoes are still in the air fryer basket or you can remove them.
Pop them back in the air fryer to melt the cheese.
Serve the potato skins while they are still hot, crispy and cheese is melty!
If there are leftover potato skins, allow to cool to room temperature and then place in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- chopped green onions
- sour cream for dipping
My favorite way to serve is with a bowl of sour cream for dipping and a small bowl of chopped green onions for topping off the sour cream.
Russet potatoes are best!
Air fry leftover potato skins for 5 minutes.
Printable Recipe Card
Homemade Air Fryer Potato Skins
- 6 Russet potatoes medium sized
- 3 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt, kosher
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese (or a blend)
- Prep the potatoes by washing them well and drying. Place in air fryer set to 400 F for 20 minutes. Check the potatoes, if they are easily pierced with a fork, they are ready. If they are not, continue to cook in 5 minute increments until ready.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half, lengthwise. Scoop out half of the potato. Be careful not to cut through the skin.
- Turn hollowed out potatoes over and brush with oil. Season with salt. Flip the skins back over and brush the inside also with oil and season with salt and pepper. Air Fry again at 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute the cheese and bacon into each potato. Air Fry at 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Serve will hot and crispy. If desired garnish with green onion, parsley or cilantro and serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole or even warmed marinara.