Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes can be prepared in the Air Fryer or the Oven. They are cooked and then the filling is combined with bacon, sour cream and cheese and then they are cooked again.
This post contains affiliate links
Me and my oldest daughter LOVE twice baked potatoes. I have typically used russet potatoes and stuffed them with broccoli and cheese. Sometimes, around St. Patrick's Day, I have even made a Colcannon Inspired Twice Baked Potato with cabbage and lots of butter.
Today, I decided I'd play around with twice baked potatoes in the air fryer. I pulled the bag of potatoes out of my pantry and they were pretty sad looking. Small and kind of misshapen. The potatoes were not going to work. The best potatoes for doing twice baked are long and even.
The russets were out but then I noticed I had a few sweet potatoes hanging around. Typically, I only prepare my sweet potatoes cubed in the air fryer as part of my morning meal prep. But I had a feeling they would work.
SPOILER ALERT: It worked and it was awesome!
Start off with baking the potato. This can be done in the oven or in the air fryer.
Cook time really depends on the size of the potato.
Oven: 400 degrees 45-60 minutes
Air Fryer: 380 degrees 35-45 minutes
Once the potato is cooked, remove it from oven/air fryer and set aside and let it cook a bit. This is the time I use to prepare the bacon in my air fryer. I'm not going to go into how to cook bacon in the oven and air fryer. If you want to learn the air fryer method see this post: Air Fryer Bacon.
Cut the top off each sweet potato and carefully scoop out the pulp (is it called pulp?). Place the pulp in a bowl and add the sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, cheese and most of the bacon. I like to leave a small amount to top it with at the end.
Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins. If you want, you can sprinkle a little more cheese on top. Why not, right?
Bake potatoes again. (TWICE baked, remember?)
Oven: 400 degrees, 5-10 minutes
Air Fryer: 360 degrees, 4 minutes
Final Step: Top with remaining bacon and sprinkle with chopped green onions and chow down!
Recommended Products for Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes:
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (Air Fryer and Oven)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 slices bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 2 T sour cream
- 1 T butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, few turns of a pepper-mill
- ¼ C shredded colby jack cheese (can use cheddar, cheddar jack or similar cheese)
- 2 T chopped green onions
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry well. Poke a few holes with fork or knife in potatoes. Spray sweet potatoes with a light coat of oil (salt if desired) and place in air fryer set to 380 F for 40 minutes (or in preheated oven 400 F for 1 hour). If your sweet potato is on the smaller side, reduce time by 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare bacon while sweet potatoes are cooling if it's not already prepared. Chop and set aside.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off the top of the potato. Scoop pulp out of potato into a bowl, being careful not to rip through the skin with spoon.
- Into the pulp, stir butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon and cheese. Spoon mixture back into the potato skins.
- Place back in air fryer at 380 F for 4 minutes or back in the oven at 400 F for 10 minutes.
- Top with chopped green onions and serve.