I'm a firm believer that everyone should know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich.
When needing a pick me up, one of the best comfort foods I feel like scarfing down is a classic grilled cheese made with bread, butter and cheese. Simple.
Of course, there are so many delicious variations to grilled cheese recipes, if you aren't a grilled cheese purist.
Considering I have seven grilled cheese recipes on this blog alone, you can imagine how many grilled cheese combinations are possible.
I reached out to some of my recipe creator friends and they gave me permission to share their favorite takes on grilled cheese too.
Don't forget to bookmark or pin this post so you can keep coming back to try more and more versions!
What is the best cheese for grilled cheese
The best cheese for grilled cheese is something that melts well. Of course, it is all personal preference but my favorite cheeses for grilled cheese are fontina, cheddar, mozzarella and monterey jack.
Prosciutto Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse® Hearty White Bread
- 1 T butter melted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 slices prosciutto
- ½ C grated/shred fontina cheese
- ¼ C baby arugula
- Drizzle half of the honey on one side of each slice of bread. Set one aside. Place the other slice, honey side up.
- Layer ingredients on slice of bread with honey side up in this order:½ of the fontina cheeseprosciuttoarugularemaining fontina cheese
- Place the other slice of bread on top, honey on the inside. Brush outsides of each slice of bread with butter.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Place sandwich in skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes, just until golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook until golden brown and cheese melted.
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Large sweet onions sliced thinly
- 4 Ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1½ Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 4 Ounces or 4 slices Gouda
- 1½ Cup spinach or spinach/arugula blend
- 2 Tablespoon butter softened
- 4 Slices bread Thick, seeded slices work great
- Melt butter in a large non stick skillet with olive oil, over high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes. After 3-4 minutes, knock the heat down to medium low and let them cook about 15 minutes, only stirring two or three times during this time. After 15 minutes the onions should be softened and gaining caramelization. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes more. Set aside until ready to use.
- Spread the softened butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place two buttered slices of bread, butter side down on a cutting board or wax paper to assemble. Layer ingredients on bread in this order:1 oz (or 1 slice) Gouda, onions & mushrooms, half the spinach, another slice or ounce of Gouda. Top with bread, butter side up.
- Heat non stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add sandwiches, one at a time to skillet. Cook on each side 3-4 minutes, until bread is toasty and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon diced or sliced jarred jalapenos
- ½ cup shredded cheese cheddar or mexican blend
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat a skillet or grill pan on medium heat.
- In a bowl stir together cream cheese, jalapenos, shredded cheese and black pepper.
- Spread mixture on two slices of bread and top each with remaining bread. Brush melted butter on bottom and top slice of bread.
- Place sandwiches on heated pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cheese is warmed through.
- Serve warm.
Sweet Corn Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 1 T melted butter
- 4 slices bacon , cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 corn on the cob , cooked
- 2 scallions , sliced
- 2 oz Colby-Jack Cheese , cut into 6 thin slices
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Brush 1 side of each slice of bread with melted butter. Place buttered side of a slice of bread in skillet. Add 3 slices of cheese, half of the bacon, half the corn and scallions and 3 more slices of cheese and then top with slice of bread (buttered side up).
- Cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes, just until browned. Carefully flip sandwich over and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Meatball Grilled Cheese
- 2 Slices Bread Homestyle or Italian Bread best
- 1 T Butter melted
- 3 Meatballs leftover or precooked I used Italian Chicken Meatballs, sliced.
- 2 T Marinara Sauce
- 2 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 1 oz Mozzarella Cheese fresh is best, cut into slices
- 2 Basil Leaves Chiffonade
- On one slice of the bread, place the provolone slices next to each other, slightly overlapping. Spread the sauce over the provolone and top the sauce with the basil and then the meatball slices. Place the mozzarella next and then top with remaining slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium/high heat.
- Brush the outer sides of bread with the butter and place on heated skillet. Press down with spatula. Cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook another 2-3 minutes. Sandwich is done when golden brown and cheese melted.
Onion Ring Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 bag Alexia Crunchy Onion Rings
- 2 slices bread whole grain or seeded
- 1 T butter melted
- 1 oz Fontina cheese grated or sliced
- 1 oz Gruyere cheese grated or sliced
- Arugula just a handful
- Prepare onion rings per package instructions.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter.
- Place 1 slice bread, butter side down, on working surface and layer fontina, onion rings, arugula and gruyere. Top with remaining slice of bread (butter side out).
- Preheat skillet to medium heat.
- Place sandwich in heated skillet (weight it down if possible) and cook until browned and cheese is melting (3-4 min). Flip sandwich over and brown other side.
- Serve with remainingl Alexia onion rings.
Grilled Cheese Turkey Roll Ups
- 4 slices sandwich bread 100% Whole Wheat is a nice choice
- 4 slices American Cheese
- 4 slices deli sliced turkey sliced thin
- 1 T butter
- Remove crusts from bread and press down or roll out thinly with rolling pin.
- Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese and a slice of turkey and then roll up tightly, pressing on the seam to seal.
- Melt butter in a saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add rolls to pan and brown on all sides.
Leave a Reply