I have been cooking Broccoli Cheese Soup for years but today I'm sharing with you how I transformed my recipe into an easy Instant Pot recipe. Enjoy!
If you are here looking for a nice light, low-calorie soup with loads of healthy veggies that you won't feel guilty about, STOP.
Seriously, stop right now. Go. Run.
This soup is not low-cal.
It's not healthy.
Sure, it has loads of broccoli in it but it also has loads of butter, cheese and heavy cream.
Why, you ask?
Because butter, cheese and heavy cream are a magical combination of deliciousness.
So, with all that warning, if you are here for a creamy soup that is family-pleasing and surprisingly filling for a noodle-less soup, stay, hang out, let's chat. You're my kind of people.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Melt the butter in the Instant Pot and saute the onion, carrot & garlic.
Add broth, seasonings & broccoli and pressure cook for 1 minute.
Remove some of the broccoli and reserve for later. Blend the soup to desired consistency. I find an immersion blender the easiest way to do this.
Bring soup to a boil and thicken with cornstarch mixture. Add milk and heavy cream.
Turn off Instant Pot and stir in cheeses. Serve warm.
In my opinion, broccoli cheese soup is always best served with some crispy croutons on top or at the very least, a nice crusty roll for dipping.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Instant Pot
- Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
- 2 T butter
- 1 C sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ C shredded carrot
- 4 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 24 oz broccoli florets
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ C cornstarch
- ¼ C cold water
- ½ C heavy cream
- 1 C milk (whole)
- 2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 C mild cheddar cheese
- Set Instant Pot to saute.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot. Add onions and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally just until starting to soften. Stir in garlic and cook just 30 seconds more.
- Pour in broth. Add salt, pepper and then broccoli. Cancel saute function.
- Cover, seal and set to high/manual pressure for 1 minute.
- When 1 minute is up. Carefully, quick release the pressure.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove approximately half of the broccoli. Set aside in a bowl.
- Blend the soup mixture with an immersion blender. (See notes if no immersion blender)
- Set the Instant Pot back to the saute function.
- Stir together cornstarch and cold water and add to soup. Allow the soup to thicken, cooking 2-3 minutes. Stir in milk and heavy cream. Cook just 1 minute more. Cancel saute function.
- Stir in cheese, a little at a time to avoid clumping. Stir reserved broccoli back into soup.
- Serve warm.
- Use a potato masher to breakdown the broccoli in the soup
- Transfer soup to a blender and pulse in blender to break down broccoli and then return back to Instant Pot.
I'd like to show you a few of my other favorite SOUPS!