Whether you decide to use the air fryer or the oven, these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers will be the party favorite.
Want to skip the chit chat and jump right to the recipe, no worries: Jump to Recipe
These stuffed mini peppers make a great party snack/appetizer, admittedly though, I make them randomly on a weekend afternoon and they get devoured. They are awesome hot right from the oven but my oldest tells me they are also amazing at room temperature.
Which is better for this recipe, oven or air fryer?
When I was experimenting with these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers, I split the recipe and prepared half in the air fryer and half in the oven.
There are few reasons I would choose one method over the other. Both methods resulted in a soft pepper, easy enough to bite into and a creamy filling that didn't dry out.
The air fryer browned the tops a little. Not a bad thing but worth noting.
The one big factor to decide how to prepare, I think, would be quantity. Obviously, the air fryer is smaller so you are limited to the size of your basket or you are forced to cook in batches.
Using the oven, you can make as many as your baking dish will fit.
My assessment is that if I'm making a batch for a mid day snack, I'll use the air fryer.
If I want to make a few dozen for a party, I'll use the oven and large baking dishes.
The steps to prepare these stuffed mini peppers are quite easy:
- Wash and dry peppers
- Slice Peppers in half and clean out the seeds and ribs
- Combine your filling ingredients OR use store bought buffalo chicken dip
- Spoon filling into peppers
- Place in the oven or air fryer
- Remove from air fryer or oven and sprinkle with a little more cheese
- Finish cooking
- Add desired toppings (green onions, blue cheese crumbles and/or dressing, ranch dressing, parsley)
This is how the Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers look fresh out of the air fryer:
And this is how they look straight out of the oven, you can see what I meant when I said the air fryer version has some browning on top.
Both versions, equally delicious.
Do you love all things buffalo sauce? If so, head over and check out these 12 Best Buffalo Sauce Dishes That Aren't Wings on Parade Magazine.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers (air fryer or oven)
- 12 mini sweet peppers
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ C buffalo wing sauce
- 12.5 oz canned white meat chicken, drained of liquid or any pre-cooked chicken, diced or shred
- ¼ C shredded cheddar cheese (I use a cheddar jack blend)
- blue cheese crumbles
- blue cheese or ranch dressing
- green onions
- Wash and dry peppers. Slice in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds and ribs.
- In a bowl, stir together cream cheese, garlic powder, chicken and wing sauce.
- Spoon filling into each pepper half.
OVEN BAKED INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Placed filled peppers in baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over the tops of peppers and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
AIR FRYER COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Place filled peppers in air fryer basket.
- Set temperature to 370F and time to 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, sprinkle cheese over tops of peppers and return to cooking for 1 more minute to melt cheese.