If you love buffalo chicken wings but don't love the fat and calories, give these Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps a try.
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps are easy to make, have just the right about of spice and are certainly healthier than the alternative!
If you don't like making a wrap out of lettuce, perhaps you're better off trying my Buffalo Chicken Salad, it is a yummy salad that is truly an entree portion salad.
How are these buffalo chicken wraps healthier
When I order a buffalo chicken wrap out, it is typically made with a high calorie tortilla wrap and includes battered and fried chicken.
My lighter version is boneless chicken that is sauteed rather than battered and fried and I'm using a lettuce cup for the wrap. Instead of plain white rice that doesn't offer much nutritional value, I've used protein-rich quinoa.
As with most of my recipes, you can add some different things to suit your own taste.
I like to add shaved carrot, chopped celery, scallions to my wraps and top with some blue cheese crumbles and/or a drizzle of blue cheese dressing to really give it that buffalo chicken feel.
Alternative Ingredients / Substitutions
- red onion can be used in place of green onions
- ranch dressing could be subbed if you don't love blue cheese
- rice can be used instead of quinoa
For those of you craving some more buffalo chicken recipes
If you want to make your own ranch dressing to go along with these chicken wraps, try this Ranch Dressing Mix.
Printable Recipe Card
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Pound boneless chicken tenders (or breasts) cut into small bite sized pieces
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ½ Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ Cup cayenne pepper sauce I use Frank's Red Hot
- 1 Cup prepared quinoa
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- blue cheese crumbles
- chopped celery
- chopped or shaved carrot
- chopped green onion
- blue cheese dressing
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add chicken to skillet. Cook chicken, occasionally stirring until no longer pink. Add butter and hot sauce to chicken. Stir well until combined. Cook chicken in the hot sauce for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- To assemble, place quinoa & chicken in lettuce leaf. Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!