Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Quinoa - A quick, easy and lightened up version of a buffalo chicken wrap.
Usually when I have a buffalo chicken wrap it is prepared with breaded and fried buffalo chicken. In the version that I prepared today, the chicken was quickly cooked in a skillet without breading.
Not only have I changed up the way I prepared the chicken but I also added some quinoa to the mix.
Well, when I mentioned to my husband I'd be making lettuce wraps, he added that he wanted rice in it too. We just had rice last night , so I met him in the middle and opted for the much healthier, quinoa.
In addition to the chicken and the quinoa in the wrap, I also put some shaved carrot, chopped celery and scallions and of course, blue cheese crumbles and a drizzle of blue cheese dressing.
I made a few of the buffalo chicken lettuce wraps with quinoa and also tried without. I think I preferred it with the quinoa. My husband on the other hand, loaded his with way too much quinoa, so it was falling apart. So, he was torn whether he liked the quinoa addition or not. I explained it was user error in that he had a massive mound of quinoa. So, we shall see next time.
These buffalo chicken lettuce wraps with quinoa were pretty quick to make and were really delicious. A great weeknight meal, if I do say so myself.
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe Notes:
- red onion can be used in place of green onions
- ranch dressing could be subbed if you don't love blue cheese
- rice can be used instead of quinoa
For those of you craving some more buffalo chicken recipes
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Quinoa
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken tenders (or breasts) cut into small bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 T butter
- ¼ C cayenne pepper sauce I use Frank's Red Hot
- 1 C prepared quinoa
- 6-8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- blue cheese crumbles as much or as little as you like
- chopped celery
- chopped or shaved carrot
- chopped green onion
- blue cheese dressing
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add chicken to skillet. Cook chicken, occasionally stirring until no longer pink.
- Add butter and hot sauce to chicken. Stir well until combined. Cook chicken in the hot sauce for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- To assemble, place quinoa & chicken in lettuce leaf. Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!