Buffalo Style Baked Mozzarella Sticks - Two classic appetizer/bar food flavors meet in the middle to create the ultimate snack food for all occasions.
You know that old saying "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"? Well, I did that. And I am happy to report that I did eventually succeed and what a good feeling that is!
About a month ago I decided to try my hand at baked mozzarella sticks. They seemed easy enough. Bread 'em and bake 'em, right? I decided that since they were such an ace in the hole, I wanted to give them some good flavor by dipping them in some buffalo sauce before breading them. Easy peasy. Well, easy peasy, if you have a recipe to go by. I, however, let my big head get the best of me and I just went for it. And what I ended up with was a melted mess or orange looking cheese on my baking sheet.
If you follow me on Facebook, you'll remember me posting the hideous picture. I'm not going to subject you to it again by showing it here. It was bad. I was bummed. I had been so excited for my new flavorful twist.
I waited a few weeks and did some research and it appears a big step that a lot of recipes are missing is to FREEZE your mozzarella sticks AFTER they are breaded and just BEFORE baking them. I was silly enough to think I was supposed to freeze the cheese sticks before you did anything to them. Wrong!
So there you have it, lesson learned. Freeze those sticks after they are dredged in flour, egg, buffalo sauce and crumbs. Then and only then do you pop them in the oven!
Make sure you eat them while they are warm so they are all oozey and the cheese is all stretchy. That's the best way. If you want to give them more of that buffalo wing feel, dip them in some chunky blue cheese dressing. Mmmm, hmmmm.
Hey, are you guys on Flipagram? I'm going to do my best to create some quick how to flipagrams. To follow along visit my profile HERE.
Printable Recipe Card
Baked Buffalo Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flour all purpose
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup Cayenne Pepper Sauce ie Franks Red Hot or similar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Parsley dry
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Cut each cheese string in half to create 12 sticks.
- Create a dredging station by placing flour and cornstarch in one bowl, beaten egg combined with cayenne pepper sauce in another and in the last bowl combine breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Coat each cheese stick by rolling in flour, dip in the egg mixture and then in the panko, being sure it is well coated. Place coated cheese sticks on a parchment lined plate.
- Place coated cheese sticks on plate in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove sticks from the freezer. Arrange the cheese sticks on a sprayed, parchment lined or baking mat lined cooking sheet. Spray tops of cheese sticks with cooking spray and bake 4 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 4-6 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Serve with chunky blue cheese dressing if desired.
These items were used in preparing this recipe.
Should you purchase any of these items I will receive a small advertising fee from Amazon.com.