These steak and cheese nachos have everything I love in a steak and cheese sub; tender shaved steak, sauteed onions, pepper, garlic and jalapenos. And let's not forget the cheese!
This recipe was originally created as part of a paid partnership. All sponsored and paid links and mentions have been removed from this post.
Preparing game day food when you're older is a little different than when you're younger.
Now that I'm older and perhaps wiser, I like layers of flavor and lots of it.
These cheesesteak nachos have a little punch from the jalapenos but the creaminess of the cheese sauce really balances it all out.
Related: Cheese Steak Pasta
I have opted to use the mozzarella and provolone cheese combination because those are the cheeses I use in a steak and cheese sub but you can use a cheddar blend, fontina would be nice or any cheese you like!
These hearty steak nachos are the perfect Superbowl food but they are filling enough to serve up for dinner! Pair it with a salad and there you go. It's fun to splurge calories on dinner every now and then!
So what goes into Cheese Steak Nachos?
I prefer a more rustic approach and keep the peppers and onions in long strips but if you prefer to dice them small, that's good too.
It sort of depends on how messy you want to get while eating.
We embrace it over here.
Start off by cooking up your steak, onions, peppers, garlic and jalapenos.
I wanted some heat to my nachos so I incorporated the seeds from the jalapenos.
If you aren't into spice, just omit the jalapeno seeds.
Once all that is cooked up, top your tortilla chips with it and then make the cheese sauce.
Oh man, the cheese sauce! You'll see what I mean.
See, I told you, THAT cheese sauce!
Okay so now just add the cheese sauce all over everything.
It will be stringy and that's okay. There is mozzarella in there, it happens. Don't worry, it will be fine!
Pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes and you're good to go!
In addition to the shaved steak, onions, peppers and cheese, mushrooms would be a great addition!
Cheese Steak Nachos
- 14 oz shaved steak
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 T butter
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla Chips
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 1 T butter
- 1 T flour
- 1 C milk
- 8 oz provolone cheese diced or shredded
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place steak in a large, non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Return pan back to heat and melt butter. Add onions and peppers to pan. Season with salt and pepper. When onions begin to soften, add garlic. Cook 1 minute more. Add steak back to pan and stir in Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Scatter tortilla chips on a baking sheet (lining with non-stick foil will help with clean up). Top with steak mixture.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute until thick. Slowly stir in milk. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and starting to thicken a bit. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until smooth. Season with a pinch of black pepper.
- Pour cheese sauce over the steak mixture topped chips. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- If desired garnish with chives or scallions.
- Enjoy while warm!
OMG These look AMAZING!!! I could eat them for breakfast!
Breakfast? Well, you know my rule about breakfast, anything can be turned into breakfast with a runny egg on top!
I have never had this kind of nachos, but they look amazing! I am pinning to try them later.
Thank you Mary, enjoy!
Thanks for sharing the step by step photos. This is always helpful for me.
linda spiker says
Oh goodness does that look divine!
These sound and look amazing! Seriously, they set my heart all aflutter,and make me want to lick my screen!!
Yum, I love that you used provolone in the cheese sauce, it's one of my faves!
PS- Thanks for the savings info also!
Wow these nachos look great! I could go for some right now!
This looks so good!
Emily R Thompson says
oh wow! those nachos are making my mouth water... seriously I want to eat those right now!!
Yum. These look amazing. I love a new twist to traditional ideas. Can't wait to try these. (FYI Turning 40 wasn't so bad. I like to think that we are like a fine wine, we only get better with age).
Thanks Michelle. I'm not too worried about 40. I think it was weirder for me when my husband turned 40. I was like "whoa, I'm married to a 40 year old man". ha!
OMG, these look amazing!
Justine Howell says
OH my family would love these, and btw 40 rocks!! lol
I'm banking on it rockin'!
These look so cheesy and delicious perf cut for tailgaters.
Kim Lee says
This recipe looks incredible! I will definitely have Nexium 24 on board when I give it a try! 🙂
These nachos have my stomach grumbling!
Debra C. says
Great combination because I ain't that young anymore either, LOL! Seriously though your nachos look so delicious, perfect game day grub!
Nicole Hood says
Oh yeah! Can you say "get in my belly"?!
I love steak and I love nachos! How could this go wrong!
Charbel Barker says
These look outstanding! We will have to try these for the next game!
Wow those nachos look amazing! Such a fun meal!
This looks amazing! As a Philly girl, I'm almost embarrassed that I haven't tried something like your recipe before! YUM! #client