Craving a tasty burger but also looking to cut calories or just avoiding beef? These Chicken Burgers prepared in the air fryer are your answer. Loaded with peppers and green onions, these burgers are juicy and delicious. Did I mention low calorie?
- ground chicken
- red bell pepper
- green onion
- salt and pepper
- garlic paste or fresh minced garlic
Forming the burger patties
You'll want to work fairly quickly as it can get sticky the longer you handle it. Quickly mix ingredients in a bowl with your hands, avoid over-mixing. Once ingredients are incorporated well, divide mixture into 4 equal sections. Form a ball from each section and then gently use the palm of your hand to flatten down into a patty.
Related: 6 Must-Try Burgers by Parade.com
How to air fry
Quickly spray both the air fryer basket and the top of the chicken burgers before placing in air fryer. Set temp and time and cook. After 6 minutes, flip and continue to cook a few more minutes.
While the chicken burger is still in the air fryer basket, add the cheese, close the air fryer but do not turn on. The residual heat should get that cheese melted in under a minute.
Add your toppings and place in bun, if desired and serve.
Of course this burger is plenty tasty on it's own so don't feel like you need toppings and/or extra steps but if you must, here you go:
- top with sliced avocado
- Serve atop lettuce for a low-carb option
- toast the buns in the air fryer
- top with air fryer bacon
Do they freeze well
Yes! To freeze, you'll want to put a piece of parchment in between each burger patty. Store in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Burgers can be cooked straight from frozen, just will need extra time.
Alternate cooking method instructions
- Traditional grill - be sure to spray or oil the grates well grill 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Stovetop - oiled skillet over medium heat 8-10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
More air fryer recipes
I have a whole section of air fryer recipes so pop on over.
Printable Recipe Card
Air Fryer Chicken Burger
- Air Fryer
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 ounces diced red bell pepper (about half a medium sized pepper)
- ½ ounces chopped green onion (about 2 green onions)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice (White cheddar or Mexican cheese blend recommended)
- avocado spray, olive oil spray or similar
- In a bowl combine chicken, peppers, onion, garlic, salt and pepper just until combine. Avoid over-working the mixture if possible. Divide mixture into 4 equal sections.
- Form each section into a ball. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten into a patty.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil spray. Place burgers in air fryer and also spray the top of the burgers. Set temperature to 380° F and time to 6 minutes. When 6 minutes is up, flip burger over and set air fryer for 3 more minutes. Using a quick read food thermometer, be sure internal temperature is 165°F, if not, add a minute or two of cook time until it is.
- While the air fryer is still hot, sprinkle the cheese over the burgers. Close the air fryer but do not turn on. The residual heat should melt cheese in under a minute.
- If desired, serve on buns with avocado slices or preferred garnish.