Sure, the title is a mouthful but trust me, you'll want a mouthful of this Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread.
Some people make zucchini bread, some people make banana bread, in this house we make moist zucchini banana bread. And if we can pop some chocolate chips in, well all the better.
Whether you have a garden and grow your own zucchini, grab it fresh at the farmer's market or just shop at a regular old grocery store, there's no mistaking when it's zucchini season. The green squash is everywhere!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Got a picky eater who thinks they won't like zucchini? This dessert bread, or is it a breakfast bread, is a great way to sneak in some squash.
- sugar - both brown and white granulated
- zucchini (green squash)
- bananas, ripe or more than ripe
- vanilla extract
- baking powder & baking soda
- semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Grate the zucchini with either a box grater or a food processor.
- This recipe makes two loaves so be prepared with two loaf pans.
- Browned bananas are the sweetest bananas. Make sure the bananas have at least ripened. I prefer them to be just on the brink of too ripe.
Because this recipe makes two loaves, you may be wondering if you can freeze this zucchini bread and the answer is yes!
Simply allow banana zucchini bread to cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer safe bag or container.
To defrost simply remove from freezer and allow to defrost on counter top.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I need to squeeze water from zucchini for bread?
No. I have never bothered with this step and have never had an issue. However, if you notice a lot of water, at least blot it with a paper towel.
- How can I tell when zucchini bread is done?
Like any quick bread, simply test doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center of the bread. If the pick comes out wet, continue cooking. If the pick comes out clean, the bread is done.
- What size loaf pan is best for this chocolate chip banana zucchini bread?
The standard 9x5 loaf pan is what I am using for this recipe.
- Can I freeze banana zucchini brad?
Yes, instructions are listed above in their own section.
More zucchini recipes
Zucchini Flower Pancake/Fritters
Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread
- Food Processor
- non stick cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 cup grated/shredded zucchini
- 4 bananas, ripened and mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Prepare loaf pans by spraying bottom and sides with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together eggs, oil, sugars and vanilla. Add mashed bananas and grated zucchini and continue to beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into batter
- Evenly divide the batter between the two loaf pans. Bake. Check for doneness at 40 minutes. Bread may take up to 50 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before transferring loaves out of pans and on to cooling racks to completely cool.
This recipe was inspired and adapted from these recipes:
Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread & Food.com.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Mmmm! I love zucchini bread! We didn't grow any zucchini this year, so we haven't been making as many zucchini treats as normal. I need to get to the store and get some!
Linda (Meal Planning Maven) says
What a yummy looking bread Christine...and I love the healthy dose of "green" you added!
April J Harris says
I just love it when treats have healthy ingredients! It makes eating healthy so much easier. Your Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread looks scrumptious!
Sandra - The Foodie Affair says
Zucchini has gotten such a bad rap. I was just like your son growing up - haha! My mom grew the veggie and we ate it ALL summer long, so it took me years to recover from the overload! I sure don't remember eating a delicious bread like this though! Yummy!
Cindy @ Hun... What's for Dinner? says
What a fantastic bread! I love that you've combined banana bread with zucchini bread.
Patty Haxton Anderson says
I do love adding in the zucchini - at least it would make me feel I'm eating healthy!!!
oh my gosh this looks heavenly!!!! I am in love with this recipe - to me this is my ideal breakfast on the weekends with a warm cup of coffee 🙂 I am going to try this weekend!
Love this recipe and the addition of courgette must give a lovely moist texture:-)
Joanne T Ferguson says
What a healthy combination Christine! YUM! Wish I had a slice with my tea right now! Pinned and shared!
Joy @ Joy Love Food says
Yum, I love trying new zucchini bread recipes, this sounds delicious!
Yummy for zucchini season!
Joanne T Ferguson says
This looks very healthy indeed and love the combination of flavors Christine!
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
Piping hot thickly sliced piece with a slab of butter and a cup of java will do me nicely.
Yup, that's how I like it too and call me crazy but it just tastes better if you eat it w/ your coffee BEFORE any kids are awake for the day, lol!
Debra @ Bowl me Over says
Ok....making this tomorrow! I have zucchini coming out my ears, everybody is giving us their excess. 😀 This looks delicious!
Sandi Gaertner (@sandigtweets) says
This looks delicious. I love the zuchinni ribbons you use in this bread recipe.
Healing Tomato says
You know, I have never tried putting zucchini and chocolate chips together before. This looks so delicious. I must try it.
KC the Kitchen Chopper says
Hey, it's Zoodle Bread. Love the combo of Zucchini and Chocolate! YUM!
The only ingedient that is not healthy is the canola OIl.
This a GMO partially hyrdrogenated oil. There is not such thing as canola seed.
Not good stuff to put in your body,
Coconut oil is what I used - very healthy , look it up if you think thats not true.
I made the cake with coconut oil and it was delicious and moist.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate the input on the oil.
I received this recipe again by email today.
I see that you are still using canola oil. Mike Adams the health ranger and other websites do not recommend this oil. So surprised that your recipe has not been changed.
I was under the impression you were into a healthy ingredient recipe regime.
My mistake obviously.
Also baking powder contains aluminium.
I read there are no food standards in America so I suppose that is the reason for unhealthy ingredients.
You readers are in the same boat too.
I'm a bit confused. I did not email this recipe out. May I ask who the email arrived from? Other oils can certainly be used in place of canola.
linda spiker says
Wow. fabulous texture in that bread! Perfection!
I just made this for my family with zucchini from a good friends garden. It’s delicious! What a great way to use zucchini. Will definitely make this again. What a great recipe!
Glad you liked it! Definitely give the savory zucchini bread a try too!