This moist and delicious apple cake recipe tastes every bit as good as the popular boxed mix at a fraction of the price. Serve this apple treat for dessert, with your midday coffee or even for breakfast!
This is the perfect kind of recipe to use up some apples from apple picking, if you do that. We always do and I'm always looking for more apple recipes.
I originally published this recipe for Nana's Apple Cake in 2014. Post and photos updated 2021, but recipe hasn't changed a bit!
I'm not going to get into what Tastefully Simple is, if you know you know... you know? Anyway, I'm not a fan of MLM's so I'll just say this about it - they charge $7.99 for a boxed of their Nana's Apple Cake Mix.
I'm sharing my homemade version, which still has all the apple, cinnamon, nutmeg flavors but it won't break the bank.
This apple cake has warm fall flavors all over it but I enjoy it all summer long too!
- apples - granny smith
- sugar - both brown sugar and granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder & baking soda
- spices - cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger
📃 Step-By-Step Instructions With Photos
Start by creaming together the shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
Stir together wet and dry ingredients.
Fold in diced apples. Don't worry if mixture seems thick, that's normal.
Spread mixture into prepared cake pan and bake in pre-heated oven.
Allow to cool a few minutes before slicing.
🍽 Serving suggestions
Of course this apple cake is fabulous straight from the oven but if you want some toppings, give these a try:
- drizzle of caramel sauce
- dollop of whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream or even a cinnamon ice cream
🍎More apple recipes
Copycat Tastefully Simple Nana’s Apple Cake
- ¼ Cup shortening
- ½ Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup flour all purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 2 ½ Cup diced Granny Smith apples peeled
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan or an 8x8 square baking pan with butter, non-stick spray and/or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream together shortening and sugars with electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Stir together wet ingredients and dry ingredients.
- Fold in apples. Mixture will be thick.
- Spread mixture into pan and bake in preheated oven 25-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick and when toothpick comes out clean out of middle, cake is done.
- Cut and serve with drizzled caramel, whipped cream and/or ice cream.
Recipe was adapted from a recipe I found on a site called Eat.Heat.Repeat.