Sweet Corn and Bacon Grilled Cheese - Sweet summer corn pairs perfectly with bacon in this deliciously family-friendly sandwich.
This post was sponsored by Heluva Good! Cheese as part of an Influence Central campaign and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Jump to Recipe- Skip The Small Talk
I think Grilled Cheese Sandwiches get a bad rap. People tend to think of them as kid food. I am someone who will never outgrow the love of a good grilled cheese sandwich.
Yes, we all loved grilled cheese as kids.
We grow up and so our grilled cheese should grow up with us.
The first thing we have to do when trying to get a grilled cheese up to par, is to think about the flavors. Do you want spicy? Sweet? Smoky? Or just plain old cheesy?
When I sat down to create this grilled cheese, I thought about the local fresh sweet corn I had sitting on my counter. I love using fresh summer ingredients in my recipes when I can. My next logical ingredient was bacon. Corn and bacon are such a good pairing. The sweetness of the corn balances the salty bacon perfectly.
Perhaps the most important decision when making a grilled cheese is the choice of cheese. I prefer a block cheese over pre-shredded. For this recipe I opted for colby-jack but if you want to spice it up, use a pepper-jack.
Let's talk bread. There is no right or wrong when it comes to the bread. This is all personal preference. I tend to lean towards the Italian style breads. You can use whatever bread you are currently loving.
There is a little prep work for this grilled cheese. Before assembly, you need to have your bacon cooked up and also your corn. As far as the corn goes, there are so many cooking methods, so just choose your normal way of cooking. I roasted in the oven (350 degrees for 30 minutes). If you are short on time (or it's not in season), you could use canned but the fresh stuff is always so much better.
Related: Instant Pot Corn On The Cob
Related: How To Cook Bacon In The Air Fryer
I tried to take pics of each step to show you exactly how I made this Sweet Corn and Bacon Grilled Cheese.
Try these additions to the sandwich too:
- avocado (or guacamole)
- pepper-jack cheese
- sliced jalapeno
- fig or apricot jam
Sweet Corn Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 1 T melted butter
- 4 slices bacon , cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 corn on the cob , cooked
- 2 scallions , sliced
- 2 oz Colby-Jack Cheese , cut into 6 thin slices
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Brush 1 side of each slice of bread with melted butter. Place buttered side of a slice of bread in skillet. Add 3 slices of cheese, half of the bacon, half the corn and scallions and 3 more slices of cheese and then top with slice of bread (buttered side up).
- Cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes, just until browned. Carefully flip sandwich over and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.