Creamy Baked Sausage Orecchiette – Spicy Sausage, spinach and Orecchiette pasta are baked together in a creamy mixture of Crème Fraiche and Havarti cheese.
You’ll notice in this casserole that I don’t add any seasonings. That’s not a mistake. Spicy sausage has so much flavor it really does the job. No need for additional spices. One more way this creamy baked dish is a cinch to make.
A Few Notes: Baked Sausage Orecchiette
- Skip the step of transferring mixture to baking dish. If you have an oven-proof saute-pan or skillet,oven-proof saute-pan or skillet, use it for browning the sausage and then mix all other ingredients right in there and pop it in the oven.
- Cheese – If you can’t get your hands on Havarti, you can use mozzarella or even a white cheddar.
- Creme Fraiche – If you must, you can sub in sour cream or a combo of sour cream and plain Greek yogurt.
Here’s How To Make It
Prepare the pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, brown the sausage.
Combine the sausage, pasta, spinach, creme fraiche and half of the cheese.
Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and bake.
It’s that easy!
Did you know that supporting our advertisers is supporting us? Please be sure to visit our advertisers that interest you!
Only 7 ingredients in this creamy casserole full of spicy sausage and cheese. This baked sausage orecchiette is complete comfort food
- 1 lb bulk spicy sausage (If only links are available, remove casing)
- 8 oz orecchiette pasta
- 5 oz baby spinach, fresh
- 4 oz creme fraiche
- 3 oz havarti cheese (cubed or shredded)
- 1/4 C panko breadcrumbs
- 1 T olive oil
- cooking spray or butter
Prepare pasta according to package instructions except undercook by 2 minutes.
While pasta is cooking, brown sausage in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, until no longer pink.
If using a baking dish, prepare it with spray or butter. Preheat oven to 425 F.
Drain water from pasta. Stir together sausage, pasta and spinach. Spinach should wilt a little from the heat of the other ingredients. Stir in the creme fraiche and half of the cheese.
Place mixture in baking dish. Scatter the remaining cheese around the top.
In a small bowl, stir together the oil and panko crumbs.
Sprinkle panko crumbs over top.
Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes until crumbs are crispy and cheese is melted.
This recipe was originally published on 4/21/15
recipe inspired by: https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/baked-gnocchi-with-mushrooms-and-spinach.html