Creamy Baked Sausage Orecchiette - Spicy Sausage, spinach and Orecchiette pasta are baked together in a creamy mixture of Crème Fraiche and Havarti cheese.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
You'll notice in this casserole that I don't add any seasonings. That's not a mistake. Spicy sausage has so much flavor it really does the job. No need for additional spices. One more way this creamy baked dish is a cinch to make.
- Skip the step of transferring mixture to baking dish. If you have an ,oven-proof saute-pan or skillet, use it for browning the sausage and then mix all other ingredients right in there and pop it in the oven.
- Cheese - If you can't get your hands on Havarti, you can use mozzarella or even a white cheddar.
- Creme Fraiche - If you must, you can sub in sour cream or a combo of sour cream and plain Greek yogurt.
Prepare the pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, brown the sausage.
Combine the sausage, pasta, spinach, creme fraiche and half of the cheese.
Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and bake.
It's that easy!
Creamy Baked Sausage Orecchiette
- 1 pound bulk spicy sausage (If only links are available, remove casing)
- 8 ounce orecchiette pasta
- 5 ounce baby spinach, fresh
- 4 ounce creme fraiche
- 3 ounce havarti cheese (cubed or shredded)
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- cooking spray or butter
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions except undercook by 2 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, brown sausage in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, until no longer pink.
- If using a baking dish, prepare it with spray or butter. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Drain water from pasta. Stir together sausage, pasta and spinach. Spinach should wilt a little from the heat of the other ingredients. Stir in the creme fraiche and half of the cheese.
- Place mixture in baking dish. Scatter the remaining cheese around the top. In a small bowl, stir together the oil and panko crumbs. Sprinkle panko crumbs over top.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes until crumbs are crispy and cheese is melted.
This recipe was originally published on 4/21/15
recipe inspired by: https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/baked-gnocchi-with-mushrooms-and-spinach.html
Yes I'd say drool worthy about covers it! This just sounds really good right now!
Thanks so much for linking up at #Purebloglove link party! The party starts every Thursday night at 8 p.m. est! It runs through the week end. I'm hosting at http://www.homemadefoodjunkie.com. Can't wait to see what you bring next Thursday. We love your ideas!
Simple, quick, not a lot of dishes involved yet unbelievably delicious.
Was this baked in an 8x8 or 13x9? The 8 oz of pasta is making me think 8x8...?
The baking dish I used was a 9x9 deep dish baking pan. Enjoy!
Thank you. This was really good! So good that we're having it again tonight! I doubled the crème fraiche
(creamy) harvarti cheese, panko, and olive oil and baked it in a 13x9 @375 until golden and melty.
Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps I'll try doubling it next time too. I don't often work with crème fraiche so I tend to be conservative with it.
My apologies... I doubled because I used a full pound of orecchiette.
Oh, ha! The way the comment came over, the end of it was cut off until I fully opened it and I thought you were just doubling the crème. Now that I've seen the rest of the comment, I get it!