I used to make my oven chicken wings in a baking pan with tons of butter. Yes, the chicken wings got a little crispy on the top but they also were soggy on the bottom and just felt heavy. I put up with it for a while but since then I have figured out a way to have truly crispy baked chicken wings with an airy texture and I'm not even using butter!
Want to know my secret?
It's all about the Corn Starch baby!
I'm sure you've used corn starch before. If you've ever made my Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti recipe, you've definitely used it because it's in my recipe! Heck, your kids may have even talked you into making slime with it! So many uses.
The spices in my chicken wings are pretty basic. I've got picky kids and they don't want spicy. They want a subtle flavor. Since all I want is to be able to have us all around the table eating the same meal, I make the recipe rather mild. You really can't go wrong with the combo of garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.
If you really want to heat things up, you can toss the wings in buffalo sauce once they're cooked. I have also made these wings exactly, adding in 2 teaspoons of lemon pepper seasoning and that is really good too. My focus is family dinner that pleases all five of us. Most of my family enjoys dipping these crispy wings in dressing.
How To Get The Crispiest Chicken Wings From The Oven
Start off by patting dry your wings with paper towels. If you really have extra time, you can leave the chicken wings, unwrapped in the refrigerator to dry out the skin. I do this with my Thanksgiving turkey but I do not have the time to do this with my wings.
Mix together flour, corn starch & spices. Toss the wings in the mixture. You want to get in there with your hands and make sure each wing is totally covered.
Place the coated wings on a rack, over a baking sheet. Cover that baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
Pop the wings in the oven. They will take anywhere between 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of your wings. I check mine after 35 minutes with a quick-read thermometer and pop them back in if need be. No need to even flip them over halfway through cooking. How great is that?
Ways to Enjoy The Crispiest Chicken Wings
- As is - just grab a wing and eat!
- Dipped in your favorite creamy salad dressing
- Toss in buffalo wing sauce
- Brush with a bbq sauce or glaze
- Main course served with a simple side salad and fries
- Party appetizer
- Game Day Eats
The Crispiest Chicken Wings From The Oven
- 4 lb chicken wingettes (separated wing portions)
- ¼ C flour all purpose
- ¼ C Corn Starch
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- .75 teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line baking sheet(s) with foil if desired for easy clean up. Place oven-safe rack(s) over baking sheet and spray rack with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, corn starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Set aside.
- Pat chicken wing parts dry with a paper towel and place in a bowl. Coat chicken with corn starch/seasoning mixture. Place coated chicken on rack(s) over baking sheets. Place in oven and set timer for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, check chicken temperature with quick-read thermometer. If not reading 165 F, return to oven in 5 minute increments until up to temperature.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Recipe can easily be halved
- Do not over crowd your chicken wings or they will not get crispy - you will need more than one baking sheet or prepare in batches