If you love crispy chicken tenders but want to cut down on the calories and fat from frying then you've got to try these Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders.
Pair these Air Fryer Chicken Tenders with my Instant Pot Velveeta Mac & Cheese, Pressure Cooker Cheddar Mac & Cheese or my Garlic & White Cheddar Shells!
If you are new to using an air fryer, you might have some questions like:
- How long does it take to cook chicken tenders in the air fryer
- Can I cook raw chicken in the air fryer
- What air fryer settings should I use to make chicken tenders
Lucky for you, I love my air fryer and can guide you through making truly delicious chicken in the air fryer.
When it comes to air fryer settings, there are a lot of fancy models out there with lots of settings. I never use the presets. I just adjust for time and temp.
For this recipe I'm using 400 degrees F and I start with 8 minutes, flip and go about 8 minutes more.
Yes, you can cook raw (fresh) chicken in the air fryer. The air fryer IS also great for heating frozen chicken tenders too. My kids use ours on the daily for frozen snacks but this recipe is for fresh chicken tenders.
Just like any recipe for breaded chicken, this one also starts with a breading station.
Using shallow bowls or similar you'll place egg in one, flour in another and the breadcrumbs in the last.
TIP: You can actually use resealable bags for the flour and the breadcrumbs if you don't want to dirty up dishes.
Coat the chicken in this order: flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and give it a little spray with olive oil, avocado oil or similar.
Halfway through the cook time, flip chicken over and spray the other side with the oil before continuing to cook.
Cooking Tip: I have found that the combination of both Italian breadcrumbs & Panko crumbs results in the crunchiest, crispiest chicken. You can use just one or the other but I really prefer the end result of using both.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- 1.5 lb chicken tenders
- 2 eggs + splash of water lightly beaten
- ½ C flour all purpose
- ½ C Panko crumbs
- ½ C Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper few turns of a grinder
- Cooking spray or olive oil mist bottle
- Create a breading station: egg mixture in one bowl, flour in another and combine both crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder in another. **See notes for breading station tip
- Toss chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess, next in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the breaded chicken in the air fryer basket, being sure not to over crowd. Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray or oil mist.
- Set air fryer to 400 F and cook for 8 minutes. Flip chicken over, spray other side with oil or cooking spray and place back for another 8 minutes.
- As always, use a quick read thermometer to be sure your chicken is cooked properly. If need be, place back in air fryer in 2 minute increments.
This Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders Recipe was inspired by Parmesan Chicken Tenders recipe by Kitchen Dreaming
Made these for dinner last night. The whole family loved them. Will definitely use the recipe again.