Hi everyone, how was your weekend? We managed to get through the entire weekend without any snow, yay! Oh, wait, they're calling for snow tomorrow! Yuck. When will this end? I just want to see the sun, is that too much to ask? End weather rant.
Today I'm sharing, one of my new favorite recipes, Stacked Eggplant Arugula Salad. But first, here's a bit of back story as to how I came up with the recipe.
One of my husband's favorite dishes, that I make, is eggplant parmigiana. Whenever I start frying up the eggplant, I always have to fry up an entire extra eggplant, because I know that
we he will be picking at the cutlets, as I'm preparing everything else. So, a while back I started trying to come up with other recipes using eggplant cutlets. The only one I came up with that was worthwhile was an Eggplant Panini (if you haven't checked it out yet, do that now, it's awesome). Until now...
This Eggplant Arugula Salad, to me, is the perfect combination of flavor and texture. The eggplant fries up soft as butter, served over peppery arugula and baby spinach. We've got the crunch from little bits of red onion and toasted pine nuts. And lets not forget the tangy creaminess of goat cheese. Don't even get me started on the balsamic dressing...oh my!
I made my own balsamic dressing (recipe included below), but if you're not feeling that adventurous, you could use a bottled balsamic vinaigrette, or another good one would be honey white balsamic.
I had a few cutlets leftover after making this, so I made an amazing lunch out of it the next day. I'll be sharing that with you soon, too.
Since we love eggplant cutlets so much over here, I'm intrigued to know if you have any great uses for using them?
One last question, before I go for today, do you generally make your own salad dressing or use the bottled stuff? Inquiring minds want to know.
Stacked Eggplant Arugula Salad
- 1 large eggplant cut into ¼-1/2 inch slices
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 C breadcrumbs seasoned
- ½ C flour
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ C pine nuts toasted
- 3 oz crumbled goat cheese
- ½ red onion diced
- 10 oz bag arugula & baby spinach mix
- 2 T lemon juice fresh
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 T honey
- ½ C extra virgin olive oil
- Create a breading station by placing a shallow bowl of each egg, flour & breadcrumbs.
- Dip each eggplant slice first in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan, over medium/high heat. Add coated eggplant slices, 2-3 at a time, to avoid overcrowding. Cook 2-4 minutes, until browned, turn over and cook other side until browned as well. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- On each plate arrange arugula & spinach. Season with a bit of salt and add red onion. Stack 3 slices eggplant, top with goat cheese and pine nuts. Drizzle with balsamic dressing.
To Make The Dressing:
- Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil.
- Once combined well, begin drizzling in olive oil, while whisking.
- Will keep up to 1 week, refrigerated.