Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, these flavorful chicken thighs pack in the flavor. This air fryer recipe perfectly balances sweet and spicy with soy sauce, honey and garlic chili sauce. Pair with your favorite rice and veggie for an impressive chicken dinner.
If you haven't made chicken in the air fryer yet, you're sure missing out. The air fryer has quickly become my favorite kitchen tool for quick and easy meals. I have a whole section of Air Fryer Recipes you can check out!
- Ingredients for Asian glaze / marinade
- How to make the air fryer chicken
- How long to marinate the chicken
- How long to air fry chicken thighs
- Do I need to line the air fryer with parchment
- What to serve with Asian-Glazed Chicken
- Can I use boneless chicken thighs
- How to store the leftovers
- Useful tools for this recipe
- Asian-Glazed Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Ingredients for Asian glaze / marinade
All ingredients are typically found in any major grocery store. If you can not find sambal oelek, just grab the container labeled garlic chili sauce and if you can't find that, simply use sriracha instead.
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- brown sugar
- rice vinegar
- sweet chili sauce
- sambal oelek (also acceptable are chili garlic sauce or sriracha sauce)
How to make the air fryer chicken
Start off by combining all the marinade ingredients. Use half of the marinade to marinate the chicken and set the other half of the marinade aside.
After marinating, add to pre-heated air fryer. Cook, then flip over and cook some more.
While the chicken is cooking in the air fryer, take the reserved marinade and cook it until it thickens a bit.
Drizzle the thickened sauce over the cooked chicken thighs when serving. If you want to get real fancy, sprinkle some sesame seeds over the chicken as a garnish.
How long to marinate the chicken
2 hours is a good starting point but you can also let it go several hours or even over night.
How long to air fry chicken thighs
Like any cooking method, the size of each thigh will dictate the exact time. However, you can expect for the chicken to cook in about 17-20 minutes.
It is always a good idea to use a quick-read thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked to a safe temperature. The USDA recommends poultry be cooked to 165 degrees F.
Do I need to line the air fryer with parchment
For most recipes I firmly say no!
However, the glaze in this recipe can get a little sticky so it's up to you. If your air fryer isn't dishwasher safe or you don't feel like scrubbing, then go ahead and line with a little parchment paper. It is really a personal preference.
What to serve with Asian-Glazed Chicken
I'd recommend rice.
Jasmine rice or brown rice are both great options.
For a vegetable, I really like steamed bok choy but steamed broccoli would be a good option too.
You can also garnish with sliced green onions, sesame seeds and/or chili flakes.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs
Of course. Boneless thighs will take a few minutes less than bone-in. You can check out my recipe for air fryer boneless thighs for expected cook times.
How to store the leftovers
If you find yourself with leftovers, simply place them in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
I find this chicken is great for meal-prepping lunches. Make a big batch of glazed chicken early in the week and eat the leftovers for lunches!
Useful tools for this recipe
Asian-Glazed Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 1.5 pounds chicken thigh bone-in
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (sriracha or garlic chili sauce)
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour half the marinade over the chicken in another bowl. Set aside the remaining marinade for now. Cover the chicken and refrigerate at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat the air fryer for 5 minutes set to 350°F.
- Brush the air fryer basket with a little oil or place a square of parchment paper in basket. Arrange chicken in air fryer without overcrowding. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket. Brush the top of the chicken with a little oil. Air fry at 350°F for 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and continue to cook until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F, about 7-8 more minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, add reserved marinade to a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat for a few minutes, just until sauce begins to thicken and it reduces slightly.
- To serve, drizzle the reduced sauce over the cooked chicken. Pair with rice and steamed vegetable for a complete meal.
- Sprinkle the top of chicken with sesame seeds and/or chili flakes when serving.