Ditch the store bought, these Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons are crispy, crunchy, buttery, easy and delicious. Use them to to salads or float atop of warm bowl of soup.Jump to Recipe-Skip the Small Talk
I've been making these garlic butter croutons for years. I'm not quite sure why I never shared the recipe with you before. So, my apologies, here it goes.
Which Type Of Bread To Use
In a word - leftover.
Here's the deal:
My house is all over the place when it comes to bread. We all have very different tastes when it comes to bread. My 8 year old son will only eat Italian bread. The 5 year old is having sandwiches on either sub rolls or whole wheat bread and my husband is a big fan of wraps so there is always a package of tortillas. Thankfully, our 20 year old will eat just about any of it.
My point is, at the end of the week, there is a lot of leftover bread. Use it! The beauty of this recipe is that you can use whatever kind of bread you have. You can even mix and match. For instance, this batch of croutons contains soft white bread and sub rolls. I've been known to make croutons of of hot dog and hamburger rolls too.
I don't like to waste bread. I'd like to say it's for some moral reason like people going hungry but it's just that, well, all that bread costs me a lot of money each week and I'm getting to be a
cheapie frugal gal these days.
Sometimes I make homemade breadcrumbs but lately I've been eating a lot of Caesar salads and Caesar Salad Wraps, so I thought croutons would be the perfect solution this week.
How To Prepare
To make the croutons just dice up your bread, toss with a garlic butter mixture and bake. Done. Your croutons will be ready to serve by the time you get your salad put together. How cool is that?
Looking for a good way to use croutons? Try some of these recipes:
Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons
- 4 C diced bread or rolls assorted
- 3 T butter
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 T chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place butter in a small pan over low heat. Using a knife or your hand, give each garlic clove a quick smash. Add garlic to butter.
- Allow butter and garlic to cook together about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the garlic.
- To the butter, add salt and pepper.
- Place bread cubes in large bowl. Drizzle half the butter mixture and toss well. Drizzle in remaining butter and repeat. Sprinkle parsley in and mix well.
- Spread cubes on sheet pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for use.
Tools to make this recipe: