If you have ever wondered how to make caramelized onions then you are in the right place. Although a bit time consuming, the result is well worth it.
Caramelized Onions have so many uses. I personally like to use them on pizza, fancy grilled cheese sandwiches and burgers. You can also use this tasty concoction on various chicken, pork and steak dishes and even in pasta dishes. I've also been known to use them as part of a charcuterie board - YUM!
How To Make Caramelized Onions Video
Do you have a mandolin? If you do, now is the time to dust if off and bring it into play. I say often that while I don't use my mandolin on the regular, when I need it, its probably the most useful kitchen gadget I own. You just can't get even thin slices the way a mandolin can. That being said, if you don't have one, do your best to keep the slices thin and even. And maybe ask Santa for a mandolin for Christmas.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
You'll notice I used red wine to deglaze my pan. If you aren't feeling the red wine, use beef broth. If you aren't a fan of Worcestershire sauce, skip it. Once you master the recipe, you can play around with the added ingredients to suit your taste.
Keep in mind, if you aren't using the wine or Worcestershire sauce, you will get more of the classic golden brown look, not this deep color that is shown in the photos.
Have you checked out these 6 Must-Try Burgers from Parade Magazine?
Printable Recipe Card
- 2 Sweet Onions, sliced thin
- 1 T Butter
- 1 T Olive oil
- ¼ C dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place a skillet over medium-low heat with butter and oil.
- Add onions to pan, coat in butter/oil mixture and then let cook, untouched 5-10 minutes.
- Stir and then again, leave to cook undisturbed another 5-10 minutes. Repeat this for about 45 minutes. If onions appear to be cooking to quickly, turn heat to low.
- After 45 minutes, onions should be golden and soft. Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and deglaze the pan. Cook another 5 minutes or until wine is reduced.
- To store, place cooled onions in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.