Instant Pot Beef & Barley Stew - A hearty, soul warming stew that doesn't actually need to "stew" all day.
Don't ya just love a big ole bowl of stew on a cold winter day? I do.
As winter is quickly settling in, I'm cooking more "comfort food" recipes. The other day I was about to make my Beef & Barley Stew and thought to myself "why am I not making this in the Instant Pot?".
You guys know by now how much I love my magical machine. So, I gave it a try and it was goooooood. The beef ended up so tender, I couldn't believe it. This is definitely the way I'll be making my stew from now on.
But, if you do have an Instant Pot, you are in luck!
Be sure not to crowd the beef or it will steam rather than brown nicely. I used a pound of stew meat and was able to do this in two batches. If you have more than that, you may need 3 batches.
You want to make sure your beef gets a good brown "crust" on it.
Add a small amount of broth (or red wine) to deglaze the pot.
(Deglazing is a cooking technique for removing and dissolving browned food residue from a pan to flavor sauces, soups, and gravies. - Wikipedia)
If you are new to Instant Pot cooking. Please note, the timer is set to 25 minutes, however, please keep in mind, the pot needs time to come to pressure and also to natural release. Once you use your IP more often, you'll start to understand the process a little more each time.
Instant Pot Beef Barley Stew
- Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
- 1 ½ pound cubed stew meat (anywhere between 1 and ½ pounds is fine)
- ½ Cup flour all purpose
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil or other oil with high smoke point
- 2 medium sized carrots diced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced or diced
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 Cup beef broth or stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 Cup pearl barley
- Place the flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl or a large resealable bag. Toss the beef cubes in the flour mixture to coat.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add oil to pot. Once hot, add half of the coated beef. Cook a few minutes until browned and then turn over and brown the other side. Remove beef from pot and repeat with remaining beef. Remove beef and set aside on plate.
- To Instant pot, add onion, carrot and mushroom. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in ¼ C of broth to deglaze (or you could use red wine) pot by scraping all the bits off the bottom. Add remaining ingredients, including the remaining broth to pot.
- Cover and seal. Using the meat/stew function, set to timer to 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, allow a natural release. Serve.
If you love stew but the mushrooms and barley aren't you thing, give my other Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe a try!