Fans of Buffalo Wings will devour this Buffalo Chicken Soup by the giant bowlful!
You might think it strange that this Buffalo Chicken Soup contains white beans. My plan for this recipe was to create a buffalo chicken chili. It was clear as it was getting closer to serve that this was not a chili but a soup. I'm leaving the beans in though. I mean, why not, right?
Related: Kid-Friendly Chili (no beans)
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
(scroll down for recipe card)
First, saute the veggies.
Next, add the chicken. Season with ranch packet.
Add in tomatoes and broth and pressure cook.
Once the pressure is up, release it.
Shred the chicken.
Add beans and cornstarch/water mixture to thicken. Return chicken to pot.
Sprinkle in some cheese, top with desired toppings and serve.
If you really hate beans, you can leave them out. But, why not give them a try? You might surprise yourself.
Related: 20 Instant Pot Soups - Parade.com
Can This Soup Be Made On The Stove Top?
You can make it on the stovetop with the same instructions, the only difference would be, instead of "pressure cooking", you'd want to simmer your chicken until it's cooked through.
You could even use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to make it easier and just toss it in at the end.
Can I use boneless chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Cook time will be the same. It's a personal preference. You can choose breasts or thighs.... there's a joke in there somewhere....
Printable Recipe Card
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 C diced onion
- 1 C diced carrot
- ½ C diced celery
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1 oz ranch seasoning
- ⅓ C wing sauce (I use Franks)
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 15.5 oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 C chicken broth
- 2 T cornstarch
- ¼ C cold water
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion
- blue cheese crumbles
- ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add oil. When hot add onion, carrot and celery. Cook 3-4 minutes, just until the vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic. Stir. Cancel saute function.
- Add the chicken thighs to pot. Sprinkle chicken with ranch seasoning. Next add the buffalo sauce, tomatoes and broth.
- Cover, seal and set to 25 minutes with high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, carefully quick release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and place on plate or cutting board.
- Stir in the beans.
- Turn the Instant Pot back to saute.
- In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and cold water.
- When the soup comes to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for another 2-3 minutes. The soup should thicken a bit.
- Shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken back into the soup.
- Turn off the saute function and stir in cheese.
- Serve warm.
- If desired top with blue cheese crumbles, blue cheese (or ranch) dressing and/or green onions.
recipe was inspired by Buffalo Chicken Chili
Harvey Lesser says
How much Buffalo seasoning does this soup use? I didn't see any in the ingredients list.
Oh my gosh! I knew I was rushing this post, but it was so good, I had to share! I used about 1/3 C. It can be increased if you prefer a spicier sauce. 1/3 C was good for the family. Sorry about that and thanks for letting me know. I've edited!