This Instant Pot Cabbage side dish is easy and goes perfectly aside just about any protein, including corned beef, smoked sausage/kielbasa and pork chops.
No need to wait for St. Patrick's Day to enjoy this easy side dish.
It used to be that I only served cabbage as a side dish for St. Patrick's Day. Then, one day, I realized that I actually really love cabbage and started making it on the regular.
This cabbage side dish is pretty easy and fairly straight-forward. No fancy seasonings.
I tend to prepare this cabbage recipe when I'm pressed for time. I quickly brown some smoked sausage / kielbasa in a skillet, toss some potatoes in my air fryer and and cabbage in the Instant Pot. Sometimes I skip the potatoes and just toss the kielbasa right in with the cabbage but I much prefer my kielbasa prepared on the stove.
- Green Cabbage
- Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth)
- Salt & Pepper
Start by roughly chopping the cabbage.
There's not a right or wrong size here. I just make big slices and then chop those slices in half or in thirds.
The cabbage breaks down quite a bit while cooking, so no need to chop super small.
Discard the core.
Next, place butter, salt, pepper and broth in the Instant Pot, followed by the cabbage.
Cover, seal and set Instant Pot to 5 minutes, high pressure. Once the timer is up, release the pressure.
Stir everything together well. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Serve with a slotted spoon to allow excess liquid to drain out.
Check out this collection of 20 of the best St. Patrick's Day Desserts!
Printable Recipe Card
Instant Pot Cabbage
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Head green cabbage
- 1 Cup vegetable stock chicken stock can also be used
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- Roughly chop cabbage and discard the core.
- Place stock, butter, salt and pepper into the instant pot, followed by the cabbage. Cover, seal and set Instant Pot to 5 minutes (high pressure). After timer is up, quick-release the pressure.
- Stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- If using onion, add it to the Instant Pot when adding cabbage.
Tina Rinella says
Your cooking instructions talk about butter but the ingredient list doesn’t have butter in it. I need to know the amount, please.
Oh gosh! that's what I get for rushing to publish a recipe! Sorry about that, I used 5 T butter. I have edited the recipe card. Thank you for letting me know!
Trying All The Foods says
Simple recipe - exactly what I needed.