This Instant Pot Cheeseburger Mac is loaded with ground beef and cheese making it a super family friendly meal, no kid can resist (young or old).
I come from the generation of Hamburger Helper lovers (wow, I'm getting old). It was fairly new when I was a kid and if your house didn't have it, you weren't the cool house to eat dinner at.
As an adult, while I'm not over the top healthy, I do try to pay attention to what goes into my kids bodies and that boxed wonder meal of the past, just isn't making the cut.
A while back, I made a "Healthier" Cheeseburger Mac, using ground turkey and I even snuck in a few veggies. It was good but I really wanted to set out to make an Instant Pot version.
To make this meal, start off by browning the ground beef and softening the onion and garlic.
Next, you dump everything else in and let the Instant Pot work it's magic.
When it's beeping to let you know it is done, quick release the steam and then stir in some cheese and that is all folks.
Total comfort food, right?
Given that it's been in the single digits for over a week, my family was ready to hunker down with some good comfort food.
Looking for another winning Instant Pot family recipe?
Be sure to check out my super popular IP Taco Pasta!
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Mac / Copy Cat Hamburger Helper
- 1 T coconut oil, vegetable oil or corn oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ C diced sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 C beef broth OR 3 C beef broth + 1 C water
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar blend
- 16 oz elbow macaroni dry
- Set to IP to saute.
- Melt in coconut oil or add oil if using corn or vegetable.
- Add ground beef. Cook until browned, stirring to break up after a few minutes.
- Add in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until soft.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Pour in ¼ C of liquid to deglaze pot. Scrape up all the tasty bits from the bottom. Then add in the macaroni and remaining liquid.
- Press cancel to stop saute.
- Lock lid into place and seal valve. Using manual button set time to 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes are up, quick release the steam. Remove cover and stir in half the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and place cover, not locked, back on pot for 2 minutes to help the cheese melt.
- Remove cover and serve.
Additional recipe notes for Instant Pot Cheeseburger Mac:
- garnish with chopped green onions, chives or parsley
- a Mexican blend cheese goes great as does a double cheddar blend
- pairs great with a garden salad
- macaroni can be subbed with any short pasta (small shells etc.)
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.