Using a jarred salsa verde is a wonderful shortcut ingredient that saves both time and money! This Instant Pot Chicken Chili Verde also known as green chili or green chicken chili, is ready in about a half hour from start to finish, making it a wonderful option even on busy nights!Jump to Recipe- Skip The Small Talk
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Jarred salsa saves money
By using a flavorful jarred salsa verde, we are skipping buying all the tomatillos that would typically be used. We are also able to skip spices in this chili because the salsa has all the spices already. Just be sure to choose a flavorful salsa verde that you've tried and enjoyed before. I'm a big fan of the one I get from Whole Foods with my Amazon Prime grocery delivery but I also like the Trader Joe's brand too.
Not only are we saving money by using the salsa but we're saving time too. Typically, tomatillos would need to be roasted and blended. This version simply requires pouring the salsa in the pot!
We are only using 6 major ingredients. According to Food Network and every other food blog, olive oil, salt and pepper are not included. So, I suppose technically this could be a 9 ingredient meal but who wants to be technical.
How to deglaze the pot
It is absolutely imperative that you deglaze the pot. I've gone over what deglazing is before but if you're new here we go.
When you brown something in the Instant Pot, little bits typically stick to the bottom of the pot; a crust of sorts. If you leave that build-up there, the pressure cooking function will not work properly. You will get a "burn" notice. So, we deglaze by adding liquid and scraping the bits up from the bottom. The bits are good, they have flavor.
Optional toppings / garnishes
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeno
- lime wedges
Optional Serving Idea: If you'd rather enjoy this as a soup, add an extra cup of chicken broth while cooking & serve with a scoop of cooked rice in bowl.
Like this Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Chili? Check out some of these related recipes:
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Cup Diced Onion
- 5 Cloves Diced Garlic
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 16 Ounces Salsa Verde
- 15.5 Ounces White Kidney Beans Drained
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- Set Instant Pot to Saute.
- While waiting for pot to heat up, season chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Once pot is hot, add oil and then chicken. Brown chicken on both sides (about 3-5 minutes each side). Remove chicken from pot and add in onions. Cook the onions 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Deglaze the pot by adding in the chicken broth and scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan (those bits add flavor). Add in the salsa and the chicken.
- Cancel the saute function. Cover and seal vent. Set to manual/high pressure for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up, allow it to naturally release.
- Open cover. Remove chicken, shred and return to pot OR shred right in the pot if you prefer.
- Stir in beans.
- Set to saute, for 2 minutes, just long enough to have the beans warm.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Top with garnishes of choice.
Recipe was inspired and adapted from the Trader Joe's website.