Everything we love about lasagna, in soup form, and way less work! This Instant Pot Lasagna Soup will quickly make your monthly meal rotation.
I'm no stranger to preparing lasagna. I grew up in an "off-the-boat" Italian household. Buuuuut, sometimes I don't feel like putting forth all that effort (don't tell my Nana). I found a few lasagna soup recipes on pinterest and decided to take the ease of it to a new level and make it an Instant Pot meal.
Easy Recipe - Just Watch
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Related: Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
What Kind of Noodles?
Have you ever bought a box of lasagna noodles only to open the box and have a handful of broken noodles? Well, from now on, save them in a ziploc bag. Yup, this recipes uses actual broken lasagna noodles. If you don't have a collection building up then just buy lasagna noodles and roughly break them up. There's no exact science here. I suppose you could use any kind of noodle here but why not keep with the lasagna theme, right?
How To Make It
- Brown the sausage.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Deglaze the pot, add broth, tomatoes, seasonings and tomato paste.
- Pressure cook.
- Serve with cheese mixture on top.
Deglazing the Instant Pot?
In a lot of my Instant Pot recipes, I reference "deglazing the pot". Deglazing means pouring in a little liquid and scraping the bottom of all those bits left behind from browning.
If you want to get technical, Merriam-Webster defines it : "to dissolve the small particles of sautéed meat remaining in (a pan) by adding a liquid and heating".
The reason we deglaze with Instant Pot cooking is to avoid the dreading "burn" notice. Those little bits of meat will burn on to the bottom of the pot and your meal will not turn out properly. I can't stress it enough: Don't forget to deglaze the pot.
TIP: You'll want to serve this soup fairly soon after you prepare it. If you let it sit too long, you run the risk of the noodles soaking in more and more of the liquid.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounce lasagna noodles broken into small pieces
- 15 ounce ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Once it is hot, add oil and the sausage. Allow sausage to brown, breaking up as it cooks. Once browned, add onion and garlic. Cook just another 2-3 minutes. Pour in about a quarter cup of the broth to deglaze the pot. Be sure to scrape up all the bits that might be stuck to the bottom. Add the rest of the broth, tomatoes, seasonings and tomato paste. Stir to combine everything. Add noodles and gently stir, trying not to push to bottom. Cancel the saute function.
- Cover, seal and set to high pressure (manual) for 8 minutes.
- While Instant Pot is cooking, stir together ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese in bowl. Set aside.
- Once time is up, carefully shift the valve to release the steam. Open cover and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the ricotta mixture and fresh basil or parsley if desired.
Inspiration for this recipe came from Cooking Classy.