Instant Pot Lemon Chicken - Moist and delicious lemon chicken, ready in well under 30 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links.
I'm sure you are sick of me singing praise to my Instant Pot.
I don't care.
It's just too darn easy.
I'm sure the novelty will wear off at some point (or not), but until it does I'm all about the Instant Pot.
You guys know, I'm not really a big fan of boneless chicken breast. It usually dries out and you have to really load it with marinade or seasoning to get it to be flavorful.
Not with this recipe. I commented to my husband, more than once while we were eating this lemon chicken, that I just couldn't believe that the chicken was so juicy!
Don't worry, unlike preparing chicken in a slow cooker, the Instant Pot has a saute function, so you can actually brown the chicken. There's not much worse than a pale cooked chicken breast. Actually, there are worse offenses but that rates up there.
For those of you saying "Christine, this sounds delicious, but I don't have an Instant Pot", well first of all, shame on you, go buy one (HERE). Secondly, don't worry, you can make this in a skillet. Just do all the same steps but when the recipe calls for covering and setting the pressure, just pop in an oven to cook the chicken. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact baking time for you because I haven't done it that way but I have faith in you that you can do it. My best guess would be about 8-10 minutes. But seriously, just go get an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless chicken breast 3-4 breasts
- 2 T butter
- ½ C sliced onions sweet onions
- 4 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- ¾ C chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ C lemon juice fresh
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 T chopped parsley
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Once it reads "hot", add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add the chicken. Cook, just until browned and then remove chicken and place on a plate.
- Still with the Instant Pot on saute, add onions and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until soft. Add garlic, cook 30 second more.
- Stir in lemon juice and broth, being sure to scrape any bits up from the bottom of the pot.
- Place chicken back in pot.
- Cover and lock lid in place with the steam valve closed.
- Choose the poultry setting and adjust time to 7 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let it sit for 2-3 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Place the Instant Pot back to saute mode.
- Mix cornstarch and a little water or broth in a small bowl and pour into onion mixture. Stir well and cook just a few minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Turn off.
- Spoon sauce over chicken when serving.
- If desired top chicken with parsley and/or lemon zest.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is adapted from: Mama Instincts
Amanda|The Kitcheneer says
I SO agree! Everyone NEEDS an Instant Pot. I thought at first it was just "another dumb appliance" but I literally use mine so much during the week. Need to try this chicken. It sounds so delicious!
I thought the same thing and held off for so long and now I'm in a major love affair with it.
Mmmmm, I guess it's time for me to get an instant pot!
The Food Hunter says
I'm still on the fence about getting one of these
Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish says
I might need to get one of those! I love the saute / browning function. So perfect!!
Lora @savoringitaly says
I have to get an instant pot!! It's on my bucket list for my kitchen. This lemon chicken looks great!!!
Jennifer Farley says
This is great! I'm always looking for new ideas for my Instant Pot.
Isabelle @ Crumb says
I'm currently obsessed with my Instant Pot... such an amazing time-saver for stews and braises and whatnot. I haven't tried it with chicken breasts, mostly because they're pretty quick to make as it is, but this recipe might just change my mind. That gorgeous lemon sauce looks too good to pass up!
Kim Beaulieu says
We love lemon chicken, just had some the other night. It's delightful. I can't wait to try it in my instant pot. I bought one in the Fall but coincidentally never opened it because I fell. Ha. Broke my leg and that instant pot is still in the box. I really need to crack that sucker open and try this.
My IP does not have a poultry setting. Just low medium and high. What setting do you suggest?
I honestly am not sure. I've only had dealings w/ this particular Instant Pot. I would probably do either medium or high.
Steve Maxwell says
Made this once and it was great! Too great...now I need to make using a little over 3 lbs of chicken. Should I just double the other ingredients as well. Any modification to cooking time in a 8qt?
I have never used an 8 qt so I actually do not know if the size of the IP changes anything. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe. I would probably double the ingredients but the cooking time should remain the same I believe. Please report your results!
Steve Maxwell says
Tried it in my 8 qt with a little over 3 lbs chicken. Doubled the other ingredients and cooked per the recipe. Turned out perfect!