A chilly day calls for a soul-warming meal like this Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
No Instant Pot? No Problem. Check out my stovetop Sausage Tortellini Soup here.
The other day it got quite chilly here in MA and I was craving soup. Not just any soup but a good old, soul-warming, hearty soup. I remembered what a hit my Tortellini Sausage soup was back in the day and realized I hadn't prepared it in quite some time.
As I got my ingredients out, I thought "why not see if this is possible in the Instant Pot". And well, obviously, I'm writing about it so you know it worked out.
The only real difference between this recipe and the original, other than the obvious fact that this was prepared in the Instant Pot is that I omitted the red wine. Honestly, it was a mistake. I just plain old forgot to add it. It worked fine without it so I'm writing the recipe without it.
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
Start off by browning the sausage.
Next, add all the veggies. Stir it all together and cook just a minute or two.
When adding the broth, start out with just about a quarter cup and use that to deglaze (scrape the stuck on bits of sausage)the bottom of the pot and then pour in the rest, along with the tomatoes and sauce.
Pop a cover on and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Release the pressure, open cover and turn the pot to simmer .
Add in the tortellini; keep the pot on simmer, stirring occasionally until tortellini is cooked, about 6 minutes.
Then you add in the spinach, basil and parsley after the tortellini is cooked. The spinach should wilt pretty quickly just by stirring it in.
Once the spinach is wilted, turn off the pot and serve. I like to serve mine with a little parmesan cheese grated on top.
A few quick notes about ingredient options for Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup:
- Sausage can be mild, spicy or a combination of both
- Kale can be used in place of spinach
- Tortellini is the refrigerated variety. Add a few extra minutes of cooking time if using the dry. I have not tested this with frozen.
- Vegetable broth is what I have used but feel free to use chicken broth
You might notice that I didn't add salt or pepper to this recipe which is very unlike me. The sausage I use has so much flavor it really isn't necessary. The key is to make sure you're using good flavored sausage!
Printable Recipe Card
Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground sausage mild, spicy or combination of both
- 14 oz cheese tortellini refrigerated
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 can diced tomato 14.5 oz - do not drain
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 6 basil leaves torn or chiffonade
- 2 T fresh parsley chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
optional: freshly shaved parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add oil and sausage. Brown sausage and stir to break up. Once browned, stir in onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in ¼ C broth and deglaze the pot (scrape all the bits of sausage from the bottom). Add in the remaining broth, diced tomato and tomato sauce.
- Cover and seal pot. Set to 10 minutes (high pressure).
- When timer is up, release pressure, remove cover and turn to simmer.
- Stir tortellini into soup and allow to cook on simmer until cooked, about 6 minutes. Once tortellini is cooked stir in spinach, basil and parsley. Turn off pot and stir well to wilt spinach into the soup.
- Serve with grated or shaved parmesan cheese.