A creamy side dish, this Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese is a family favorite! Easy to make and ready in about 10 minutes, perfect option for a quick weeknight meal!
Kids and adults will both love this cheesy pasta!
Some of the text in this post has been updated but the delicious recipe remains the same.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Typically, I serve this creamy mac and cheese as a side dish to chicken, pork or steak but if you'd rather use it as an entrée, simply double the recipe (see FAQ for more info).
I know, some of you may balk at the use of Velveeta and that's okay. Maybe it isn't for you, but I have to say, Velveeta does result in the creamiest mac and cheese. Give it a try before you judge.
If you absolutely cannot get on board with Velveeta then perhaps head over and check out my other Instant Pot Mac & Cheese, which uses cheddar and parmesan.
- Pasta - elbow macaroni, small shells or other small shaped pasta
- Salt & Pepper
Melt butter in the instant pot, using the sauté function. Add water, salt & pepper and then the pasta.
Do not stir the pasta but gently push it with a spoon to make sure it is all in the water. Stirring may cause the pasta to settle and burn to the bottom.
Once the timer beeps, release the pressure (quick-release).
Now you can stir in the milk and the cheese. The residual heat should be enough to melt the cheese but if not, you can turn it back to sauté for a minute.
Taste for salt and pepper and add if necessary.
Velveeta Mac and Cheese makes a great side dish to many things including these dishes:
New to the Instant Pot? Check out this article on Parade.com for 8 Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipes for easy meal ideas!
Salt and pepper are the go to but if you want even more flavor, try adding garlic powder.
To double the recipe, simply double all ingredients. Cook time and instructions remain the same.
Sure enough, whenever I post an Instant Pot recipe on social media, I get the question "Why bother with the Instant Pot for simple mac and cheese".
So, before you ask me that, here are the reasons I prefer to make my Velveeta Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot.
- Easy Clean Up - The instant pot liner can go in the dishwasher.
- Kids - This is an easy recipe that my kids can help with. For whatever reason, they seem less intimidated by the Instant Pot than they do with the stove top flames.
- Heat - No heating up the house on a hot day
Not sure which Instant Pot to get? I have this one which I purchased on Amazon. It has been great so far and I highly recommend it. If you have a large family, perhaps up to an 8 qt.
Printable Recipe Card
Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or other small pasta shape
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt I always use kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounce velveeta cheese cubed
- ⅓ cup milk more to achieve desired consistency
- Place butter in Instant Pot.Set Instant Pot to saute and allow butter to melt. Turn off saute mode. Add water, salt, pepper and pasta.
- Cover and lock lid in place and make sure the vent is set to sealed. Set timer to 6 minutes high pressure cooking.
- When timer is up, carefully switch to venting and allow pressure to release.
- The Instant Pot should now have switched to "keep warm" mode, leave it on "keep warm" and stir in cubed cheese and ⅓ C milk. Add more milk in small quantities if desired, depending on how you prefer the consistency.
- Adjust for salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Foodyschmoodyblog.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.