Layered Ranch Taco Salad - Jazz up the typical taco salad by adding some ranch seasoning and serving in a layered glass bowl! Perfect for potlucks!
This post contains affiliate links.
Summer, summer, summer-time....summertime! Oh gosh, I spend all winter long complaining about the weather in New England (like any true New Englander does) and now I am basking in the beauty of it. It has been so beautifully sunny and hot and perfect for doing nothing but sitting on a float in the pool all day.
I'm so happy that Nora is just big enough this year to be able to do her own thing in the pool. She just needs her floatie vest thingy and she's good to go! Josh is wanting to experiment more without his vest on, but for the most part, I'm actually getting some sit in the sun and read a book time. It's days like these, that I really feel good about my decision to have swapped my career for this adventure in stay at home mommy land.
When the weather is all hot and gorgeous, the last thing I want to do is be stuck in the kitchen and/or eat a big huge meal. Who the heck wants to drag themselves out of the pool to cook? If I didn't have a family that I feel obligated to nourish, I probably wouldn't cook, or eat an actual meal during this time of the year. But, I do have said family.
Entrée salads are perfect for this time of year. I especially love taco salads. A taco salad has meat, greens, beans, veggies and cheese, all in one bowl. How great is that? Plus, if you layer it all pretty, like I did in a trifle bowl, everyone will want to eat it. Even Nora was interested. I mean, she didn't actually eat any of it, but she tried a bite because she liked the look of it and well, that's good enough for me.
I've been making the same taco salad for years. Don't get me wrong, it's great, perfectly delicious, but I wanted to mix it up a bit this time, so I made this Layered Ranch Taco Salad.
If ranch isn't your thing, just leave out the ranch seasoning and follow the other instructions. I was so wrapped up with being excited about the ranch addition, that I totally forgot to add my layer of cucumbers and I didn't even realize it until I finished it and realized it fell a little short, just under the rim of the bowl. I ended up just chopping up some cukes and threw them right in the bowl I was eating from. So you won't see them in my pictures but I am putting it in the recipe.
Layered Ranch Taco Salad is also the perfect dish to bring along to your summer potlucks and parties!
Printable Recipe Card
Layered Ranch Taco Salad
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- ½ of a 1 oz packet of dry ranch seasoning
- ½ C water
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce chopped
- 15 oz can red beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn drained
- 1 C salsa
- 1 C shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1 C tortilla chips slightly crushed
- In a large skillet, over medium/high heat, brown ground beef. Drain excess fat and return ground beef to pan and heat. Stir in water, taco seasoning and ranch seasoning. Cook about 3-5 minutes until well combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While ground beef is cooling, prep all other ingredients.
- Layer ingredients in a large bowl in this order:
- Ground beef, lettuce, beans, cucumber, red onion, corn, salsa, shredded cheese and finally top with crushed tortilla chips.
- Serve with prepared ranch dressing or dressing of your choice.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com