Lemon Basil Orzo Pasta Salad - A light and refreshing twist to traditional pasta salads. Makes a great lunch on it's own or pair it with grilled chicken for a fresh summer dinner.
Now that warm weather is in full swing (finally!) I am looking for fresh new ideas for my go to grilling side dishes. Once summer sets in, I grill a lot of burgers, sausage and chicken. Pasta salads are a great side dish to all of those. Plus, this pasta salad can be served cold or at room temperature, it is a great thing to bring along to BBQ's or summer potlucks.
Yesterday, I grilled up some chicken tenders. Chicken tenders are great for a quickie chicken dish by the way. They grill up in like 5 minutes. I knew I was going to be short on time, so I put together my Lemon Basil Orzo Pasta Salad earlier in the day and kept it in the fridge until I started grilling my chicken. At that point I removed it from the fridge, just to take the chill off. By the time the chicken was done, the pasta salad was room temperature and perfect to serve as a bed for the chicken.
This Lemon Basil Orzo Pasta Salad doesn't just go with grilled chicken. It also makes a great side dish to burgers, hot dogs and sausages!
Lemon Basil Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 C orzo uncooked
- 6.5 oz artichoke hearts marinated
- 12 sweet golden tomatoes quartered or halved (Sunburst tomatoes)
- 2 T chopped basil fresh
- 1 T lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 12 ciliegine balls mini mozzarella
- ¼ C olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place in large bowl.
- Drain liquid from artichokes and chop.
- Add artichokes, tomatoes, basil, lemon, lemon juice and mozzarella. Stir. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and stir well.
[amazon-related-products keywords="outdoor serveware"]