The other day, I shared with you a recipe for Sweet and Spicy Chicken. You might remember, it was a recipe I created for Sunkist, to help spread their message of reducing sodium by using lemon, and in particular their S'alternative. Well, now I've got myself a ton of beautiful lemons lying around the house, and it's a huge pain to juice them for lemonade (I don't have a fancy juicer, just a hand held thing), so I'll just keep on cooking with them. In keeping with the lemon theme, today, I'm sharing with you a Lemon Broccolini, Chicken and Potato Bowl.
Wow, that title is a mouthful isn't it? Sometimes, I'm just not on my game with naming these things. But, at least it tastes good! That's what counts, right?
When I was little, we lived above my Italian grandmother for a while. One of the things she would make was a potato and broccoli or potato and green beans dish. It was such a simple thing, yet I can't quite create it as an adult. I'm pretty sure she just boiled the potatoes and added the broccoli/beans towards the end of the cooking, then she would drain it all and stir it together with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Maybe she had some garlic in there, not entirely sure. It doesn't sound good, but man, that old fashioned, plain, real Italian cooking, is the stuff that I dream about at night. This is sort of a nod to that. A refined, grown up version, if you will.
If you're looking for a side dish, rather than a meal bowl, just leave off the chicken. It would be a delicious addition to any meal.
Shortcut Tip: Save time by using precooked chicken. Good ideas are leftover grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken or store bought, packaged precooked chicken.
Lemon Broccolini, Chicken and Potato Bowl
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes halve the large ones to ensure even cooking
- 1 lb broccolini trimmed
- 1.5 T olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 3 chicken cutlets
- 1 T salt free seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Juice of 1 lemon about 2 T
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T thyme fresh
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss the potatoes and broccolini with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven, add broccolini to the potatoes and continue to roast another 5-10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- While vegetables are roasting season chicken cutlets with salt free seasoning, black pepper and lemon zest. Grill chicken until no longer pink in the center. Slice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon juice, oil and thyme.
- Toss roasted vegetables, sliced red onion and chicken together in a large bowl. Drizzle lemon oil mixture over everything. Toss well to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Help support Foody Schmoody...I'm JUST Cooking by purchasing items through the Amazon Affiliate links you find throughout my posts.