Meatball Sub Casserole - Everything you love about a meatball sub, transformed into an easy oven meal.
I will admit I've been having a hard time managing time the past two weeks. This is evidenced by my lack of recipes being posted here lately. Between Christmas, birthdays and oh, did I mention the stomach bug that has hit our house over the holidays, things have been tough.
I have been cooking, just nothing worth posting and I definitely haven't had the time to take photos. One thing that I made was easy and quick enough that I was able to snap a few photos though. Enter the Meatball Sub Casserole.
I've seen this idea floating around Pinterest for a while but I hadn't given it much thought until I was in a bind. I've seen them with the bread on the bottom and then meatballs and sauce on top but that sounded like it would end up with soggy bread. Who wants soggy bread? Not me.
I found this recipe for what I had in mind but instead of making everything homemade, I used frozen meatballs, jarred sauce and store bought garlic bread. Sometimes you just got to, you know?!
Printable Recipe Card
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 20 Frozen Meatballs
- 24 oz Marinara Sauce
- 2 C Shredded Cheese Mozzarella & Provolone or just Mozzarella
- ¼ C Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 Loaf Garlic Bread
- ¼ C Chopped Parsley fresh
- Follow instructions for baking meatballs as per package instruction, removing from the oven halfway through cooking time.
- While meatballs are cooking, cut garlic bread into large slices or cubed chunks (whatever your preference).
- Set oven to 400 F.
- Place partially cooked meatballs in the center of a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange the garlic bread pieces around the edges of the pan, surrounding the meatballs.
- Sprinkle meatballs with parmesan cheese and then pour sauce over the meatballs. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over sauce and edges of bread.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bread is toasty and meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with chopped parsley before serving.
This is just the perfect meal for a busy weekday!
Thanks, we thought so too!
Ooh, a stomach bug over the holidays sounds horrible! I hope everyone is feeling better. Recipes like this are great to have when you are in a pinch!
Yes Carlee, everyone is fine now. My poor son who is almost 7 had it kick in on Christmas Eve. He's back in the saddle now though!
Linda (Meal Planning Maven) says
So fun and creative...and I bet your kids gobbled this up!
Well, mom and dad definitely did. My picky ones.... that's another story 🙂
YES PLEASE!!! This is such a great idea!!!
Sandra - The Foodie Affair says
Man does this look amazing! So easy too when you use frozen meatballs. I'm going to have to taste test a few meatball brands and make this for my football game watching guys 🙂