Pesto Eggs could not be easier. Simply replace your usual oil or butter in the pan with a little pesto and Bam!, Pesto Eggs, for the savory breakfast lover.Skip The Small Talk - Jump to Recipe
TikTok viral recipe
Cooking eggs in pesto isn't a completely new concept but it sure has been made popular again thanks to TikTok. The video I originally saw blowing up was this one by @Amywilichowski, it has over 1 million views last I checked.
What if I don't like runny eggs
They can be, but they don't have to be. Whether you like your eggs sunny side up, over easy, over hard or even scrambled, this recipe works.
You can play around with different varieties of pesto but for me, my favorite has been my HOMEMADE NUT-FREE PESTO and a classic basil pesto that I purchased at the store.
Related: Tuscan Poached Eggs
Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Drop a little pesto in the center of the pan. Once the pesto is hot (it will sizzle) crack in the eggs.
Once the eggs are in the pan, I season with a little black pepper and crushed red pepper flake. My pesto has enough salt in it so I don't need to add any. Be sure to taste your pesto and make that decision for yourself.
After the eggs are seasoned, I pop a cover on the pan and knock the heat down to low until the whites are just set up but the yolk is still soft. This process takes about 3 minutes, maybe more, depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
I like to serve my pesto eggs on top of toasted sourdough with fruit on the side. This recipe makes a fabulous breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!
Other great suggestions would be:
- atop toast smeared with goat cheese
- topper for avocado toast
- over roasted potatoes
- an over-the-top burger idea
If you are a Trader Joe's fan, like myself, try this with their Chili Onion Crunch!
Printable Recipe Card
TikTok Pesto Eggs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 pinch black pepper optional
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add pesto to skillet. Once the pesto is hot, crack eggs into pan. Season eggs, if desired with black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook until whites of egg of set and yolk is to desired consistency, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Serve atop a slice of hearty toast or however you'd like to enjoy.
Up Next: Eggs Benedict Burger