Roasted Cauliflower Asparagus Soup - A simple yet delicious soup featuring cauliflower and asparagus that has been oven roasted for maximum flavor.
Jump to Recipe & Skip The Small Talk
The inspiration for this soup came to via a friend's text message. Last week I received a text asking "do you have a recipe for a vegan soup with asparagus that doesn't include dairy or potatoes". I laughed at first, thinking "I don't make anything without butter or meat. I gave him a few ideas to turn one of my asparagus soups into a dairy free option. I moved on with my night and didn't give it another thought.
Until the next day.
I couldn't get darn asparagus soup out of my brain.
Then I thought, I don't have a soup like this on the blog at all either. What? Am? I? Waiting? For?
So I ran out to this little veggie shop down the street (Shout out to Crown Market in Whitman), grabbed a head of cauliflower and a bunch of asparagus and got myself started.
Knowing how much I love the flavors that are created when veggies are roasted, I decided to roast the veggies rather than just boiling them. If you don't have the time for roasting, I supposed you could cook them in broth until tender but if you do have the time, you can't beat that flavor roasting creates.
This is not really the kind of soup I usually make. Usually, the kind of soup I make is full of meat or pasta or a combination of both. My husband really needs a soup to be hearty. Some of our favorites have been Sausage & Tortellini Soup, Instant Pot Meatball Soup, Cheesy Broccoli Soup with Bacon & Tortellini. See what I mean, meat and pasta. On the rare occasion I make a lighter soup, I usually serve grilled cheese on the side to fill up my husband.
For this soup, I was confident it would be filling enough with all those veggies in there but out of habit, I still asked my husband if he wanted a grilled cheese on the side. He stood there thinking for a minute (or 5) and finally his eyes met the bag of Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons I had made earlier and said, "No, I'll just load it up with those".
I'm pretty excited this Roasted Cauliflower Asparagus Soup has given me just one more reason to make those delicious little croutons.
Roasted Cauliflower Asparagus Soup
- 2 T olive oil divided
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 shallots sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper more to taste if desired
- 5 C vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss cauliflower and asparagus with 1 T olive oil. Place cauliflower on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add asparagus and flip the cauliflower. Roast another 15-20 minutes until soft and caramelized. Set aside.
- Heat remaining T olive oil in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shallots. Cook, stirring, until shallots are soft. Add roasted vegetables, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and broth. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from heat and carefully, using an immersion blender, process the soup to desired consistency.
- Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- chopped scallion
- garlic butter croutons
- olive oil or garlic oil
- additional asparagus and/or cauliflower.
Items used to create this Roasted Cauliflower Asparagus Soup: