Root Vegetable Sausage Bake recipe originally posted Feb 13, 2014
Photos & post updated 3/25/19
This Root Vegetable Sausage Bake is full of root vegetables I can find in abundance during the winter months where I live. In the summer, I like to lighten it up a bit but during these last days of winter, I still cling on to the comfort of casseroles and hearty root vegetables.
For my version of this dish, I chose brussels sprouts, carrots and parsnips. Sometimes I toss in potatoes, sometimes I don't. It's really up to you. If you are changing up the veggies just keep cook times in mind. All the veggies I chose have very similar cook times so it's all ready at the same time. If you want to toss in a more delicate vegetable just be sure to add it in a little later into the cooking process.
HOW EASY IS ROOT VEGETABLE SAUSAGE BAKE TO MAKE?
Pretty darn easy. Start off by chopping the veggies. Toss the veggies with oil and seasonings. Place sausage on top and put in the oven.
After about 25 minutes, cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces. Toss the veggies with dressing. Place the sausage back on top and return to oven.
And then serve! (Top with parsley if you like)
WHY DON'T YOU JUST CUT THE SAUSAGE AT THE BEGINNING?
I prefer to cook the sausage whole most of the way and then slice before finishing up because slicing raw sausage gets messy. It's as simple as that. I find it easier to slice cooked sausage. No big reason. That's it. I like easy.
Interested in more sausage recipes? Check out my entire section of recipes using sausage!
Root Vegetable Sausage Bake
- 2-3 red potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 1 lb brussel sprouts halved
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 5 sausage links sweet or hot Italian
- ¼ C Italian dressing recommended Robusto or similar
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut all vegetables into similarly sized bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetables, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place vegetables in baking dish and place sausage on top of vegetables. Bake 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the sausage from the oven, slice into bite sized pieces. Toss the vegetables with the dressing. Place the sliced sausage back on top of vegetables and return to oven and continue too cook 10-15 more minutes.
Of course I had to keep the original photo of Root Vegetable Sausage Bake just for fun.