Salted Caramel Brownies - Basic brownies are taken up a notch by adding a center of ooey gooey salted caramel!
Listen, brownies are good, right? Sure, on their own they're chocolatey, decadent and delicious. But, what about if we jammed a layer of ooey gooey caramel into the middle? Oh wait, how about if we then added just a tad of coarse sea salt to the mix? Yup, I did that.
Just before we went away for vacation, Tori (our college student) announced she was coming home for the day. AND she was bringing friends. AND I was making them all dinner.
Making dinner was easy because she requested Crock Pot Chicken Caesar Wraps. I'm always glad when that is a request because it's so easy. I know it's her favorite so no big deal. Since these girls eat cafeteria food day in and day out, I thought I would bake something yummy for them to have for dessert and to pack up to bring back with them.
My plan was to make my Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars but I was feeling extra lazy and didn't have all the ingredients on hand. When I looked in my pantry I noticed I had a box of brownie mix. Hmm, that could work....right?
Printable Recipe Card
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 Box Brownie Mix 18-20 oz box plus ingredients called for making brownies.
- 3 T Heavy Cream Whipping Cream
- 10 oz Caramel Candy
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper or non stick foil (I prefer the foil).
- Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions.
- Pour half of batter into baking dish and bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven after 20 minutes and set aside.
- Place caramels and cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high 20 seconds. Stir. Repeat. Continue to repeat this step until caramel is completely melted. It took me 1 minute total.
- Quickly pour caramel over partially cooked brownies. Sprinkle salt over caramel. (The amount really depends on how much salt you enjoy in your sweets. )
- Pour remaining brownie batter over salted caramel.
- Return to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
- Optional: Sprinkle additional sea salt on top layer of brownies right when removed from oven.