Savory Zucchini Bread - A zucchini bread chalk full of bacon, garlic and cheese! A great way to use up all that garden zucchini while it's in season.
I planted some zucchini seeds the other day.
This got me thinking, what will I do once all these zucchini mature?
You already know (if you were following me the past few summers) some of my favorite zucchini recipes are Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread, Fried Zucchini Flowers, Zucchini Flower Fritters, Peach & Zucchini Salad, and Zucchini Fries.
At first, I felt like I had already gone all around from sweet to savory and back again but then I realized, the only zucchini breads I've ever cooked (some blogged and some not blogged) are more on the sweet side. I mostly go sweet with these types of breads for my son. He's a picky little bugger, but man is he a fan of banana or zucchini breads, especially when they are loaded with chocolate chips!
What are your favorite ways to use zucchini?
So, clearly, I've had zucchini on the brain. And then, I went to the opening of a new produce type/ farm stand kind of store down the street. By the way, how awesome is that on my own street, a store with local fresh produce opened? I'm pretty psyched.
Anyway, when I went into this new store, I had zero plan of what to buy. I didn't have an idea, I was just there to check it out. And then I saw my favorite, garlic. I love when I can find a big garlic bulb that is slightly purple on the outside and the cloves are nice and tight together. There's just not much better than good quality, fresh garlic!
So, in the end, I grabbed some zucchini, garlic, green onion, apples, blackberries and potatoes.
I came home and looked at my bounty and thought, zucchini bread. Not just any zucchini bread, but a nice, savory, full of bacon, garlic and cheese, kind of zucchini bread.
I've never tried a recipe like this but I had a good feeling about it.
And that feeling was right!
Savory Zucchini Bread
- 3 C flour , all purpose
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 C milk (I used 1%)
- 3 T butter , melted
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 C shredded or grated zucchini
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 C cheddar cheese , divided (I used a cheddar blend)
- 4 -5 slices bacon , cooked and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, milk and garlic. Stir in the zucchini and green onions.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture, just until combined. Fold in ¾ C cheese and half of the bacon.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan. Top with remaining bacon & cheese. Bake 50 minutes.
Savory Zucchini Bread Notes:
- bacon can be omitted
- could be baked in a round cake pan instead of loaf pan
- other savory fresh herbs would work well too, play around with the flavor
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.