These taco flavored chicken wings make a tasty dinner twist on Taco Tuesday or they also make a great party appetizer. Who doesn't love a chicken wing? As a bonus, they cook up so easily in the slow cooker. A true, no fuss chicken dish!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Why cook chicken wings in a slow cooker
Well, for one, it's super easy to do.
But also, chicken wings prepared in a slow cooker result in super tender meat.
And, you can make them early in the day and keep warm in the slow cooker until ready to serve.
Do I need to broil the wings
It's not totally necessary but I do highly recommend it. Wings that come straight out of the slow cooker simply won't have a crispy texture.
If that doesn't matter to you then go for it, eat them without broiling. I, however, prefer to just broil for 2-3 min or so.
As an alternative, you could also toss wings in an air fryer for a few minutes or even on a hot grill.
Ingredients for taco flavored chicken wings
This ingredient list couldn't be easier. Ready?
- Chicken wings
- Taco seasoning
- garlic powder
- cilantro (for garnish)
What is the difference between party wings and whole chicken wings
Okay, well, a whole chicken wing is just that, the whole wing - drum, flat & tip.
Party wings are wings that have already been cut for you into drums (or drumettes) and flats. The tips are not packaged up with party wings.
So, which are best?
If you are trying to save time, grab the party wings.
I typically will buy the whole wing because:
- whole wings are cheaper, you're typically paying a premium for the convenience
- the tips can be saved for making homemade chicken broth
- it really isn't difficult to cut them myself
If you have whole wings, start off by cutting the wings into drums and flats. Save the tips for chicken broth.
Next, put the wings in the slow cooker and season with the taco seasoning. If you want, add a little garlic powder. If you are using low-sodium taco seasoning, maybe add a little salt too.
Make sure to really rub the seasoning on the wings.
Cover and cook on either High for 2.5 hours or Low for 4.5 hours. No need to add liquid to the slow cooker.
When the timer is up, you can keep them on warm, if your slow cooker has that setting until you're just about ready to serve.
Again, you can serve them straight from the slow cooker but the skin texture is much better if you pop them under a broiler for a few minutes.
Place wings on a lined baking sheet. I give them a little spritz of oil and then broil for 3-4 minutes.
I like to serve my taco flavored wings with a side of ranch for dipping. An avocado crema would be a great choice too.
If serving for dinner, I also like to pair with rice and black beans.
Cilantro works well as a garnish and a little green always makes a dish look prettier.
Looking for more Chicken Wing recipes? Try these "
Taco Flavored Chicken Wings in Slow Cooker Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- olive oil spray or spritzer
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- If wings are whole, separate into flats and drums. Save the wing tips for later use in chicken broth (or discard). Add wing sections to slow cooker. Rub the taco seasoning (and if using garlic powder, that too) all over the wings to coat well.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to either high for 2½ hours or low for 4¼ hours.
- When time is up, transfer wings to a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. If desired, give each wing a spritz of oil. Place wings in pre-heated (to broil) oven and broil for 2-5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with ranch or whatever dipping sauce you like.