Taco Rice Skillet - This change up to Taco Night will have your entire family excited about dinner!
Before I tell you about this Taco Rice Skillet, let me tell you one important thing about the photos. Usually, I try to take my time and make my pictures all nice and drool-worthy. My family usually waits very patiently (sort of) but man, these photos stink. You know why? Because I couldn't beat them off of this meal. It smelled so good they just were on my case about digging in. So, there you have it, a good meal, but not-so-good photos. Oh well.
Okay, here we go.
I think I mentioned not too long ago that my kids finally tried tacos and now they are madly in love with them. They expect tacos once a week, usually on Tuesdays, of course, for Taco Tuesday. I'm game most of the time, but as I have said before, I'm kind of getting sick of plain old tacos.
For a while now, I've been trying to keep Taco Tuesday going, but without the actual tacos. That sounds confusing, doesn't it? What I mean is I'm making taco-ish dishes like Taco Meatloaf, Taco Pizza, Taco Pasta ,Taco Salad and now we have a new favorite, this One Pot Taco Rice Skillet.
There are so many good things about this meal. For starters, it's a one pot meal so you're not dirtying up a bunch of pans. Oh, and how about that fact that it tastes awesome, it's easy to make and the best thing for me is that my kids actually will eat it. My husband did go back for seconds too, so don't be fooled into thinking this is only a kid meal.
Another great thing about this Taco Rice Skillet is that if you have leftovers (which is doubtful because it's so yummy), you can reheat and pop it inside a wrap for a burrito - instant lunch. Don't you love when you can have two different meals out of one? I do. Next time I make this Taco Rice Skillet, I will double it so I can have enough for us all to have burritos.
Last quick note. I really, really, really wanted to stir black beans into this. I knew the kids wouldn't be on board. I say, if your family eats beans, totally add the beans!
Do you have any taco-ish style dishes you want to share with me? I'm open to suggestions.
Printable Recipe Card
Taco Rice Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ Cup diced onion (sweet onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped or minced
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- 1 Cup salsa
- 1 Cup white rice (not instant)
- 2 ¼ Cup beef broth/stock
- 1 Cup shredded cheese , cheddar or Mexican blend
- Chopped green onions
- Sliced jalapeno
- Sour cream
- In a large, non-stick, skillet over medium/high heat, brown the meat. After a few minutes of the beef cooking, add in the onion. Cook until beef is cooked and onion is soft. Add in garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in taco seasoning, rice, salsa and beef broth/stock. Bring just to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer, covered for about 20-25 minutes, until rice is cooked. If too much liquid remains, allow to simmer a few more minutes un-covered.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top. You may want to cover to help the cheese melt.
- Remove from heat and garnish with desired toppings.
My kids prefer their tacos (and Taco Rice Skillet) rather plain without too many toppings. Some topping ideas I think would be great are:
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- chopped green onions
- sliced or chopped jalapeno