This fall-inspired toasted sandwich comes together in about 10 minutes. Use deli-sliced turkey or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey for an easy weeknight meal. This Turkey Panini with apples and cheddar will quickly become a staple in the regular recipe rotation.
Apples and cheese have been paired together for ages. It works because the tartness of the apples and creamy saltiness of cheese just play well together.
While you can use whichever hearty bread you prefer, I like to use a thick sliced Italian bread.
Not a fan of apple butter? Give this a real Thanksgiving feel by substituting cranberry sauce for the apple butter.
What is a panini
I guess we should start with this basic question. A panini is simply a pressed sandwich.
Related: Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
The ingredient list for these paninis is quite short and easy to find.
- Turkey - use either deli turkey or leftovers from turkey dinner (think Thanksgiving leftovers)
- Cheese - sharp cheddar is what I'm using but mild cheddar is great. Feel free to change up the cheese to suit your taste.
- Bread - a good hearty bread is best but use your favorite
- Apple - green apple
- Apple Butter - if you aren't familiar, you can find this typically in most grocery stores in the section where you can also find nut butters and fruit jams, jellies and spreads
- Sage - fresh
- Butter - make sure it is soft enough to spread easily
❓Do I need a panini press
While using a panini press sure makes a panini recipe easy, you can make this more grilled cheese style.
To make without a press, assemble as per instructions and cook on a pre-heated skillet over medium heat, pressing down with a spatula as it cooks. Take care when flipping the sandwich. Cook until golden on both sides.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
If you're in the market for a panini press, check this one out on Amazon:
Related: Sweet Corn and Bacon Grilled Cheese
🍳How to make a turkey panini
While the panini press is pre-heating, start assembly.
Butter one side of each slice of bread and then turn them butter side down on cutting board (or work surface).
Spread the apple butter on the top side of bread slices and then layer the rest of the ingredients.
You'll want the sandwich to be on the thicker side. Keep in mind it will be pressed down in the panini press.
Place the sandwich in the pre-heated panini press. The panini should take about 3-5 minutes to cook.
What to serve with turkey panini sandwich
There are several things that go well with this grilled turkey sandwich. Here are a few of my easy favorites.
- potato chips (super easy, just open your favorite brand)
- sweet potato cubes in the air fryer
- air fryer french fries
- salad (bagged salad will keep it easy)
📃 Printable Recipe Card
Turkey Panini With Cheddar and Apple
- ½ pound sliced deli turkey or leftover cooked turkey
- 4 ounce sharp cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 8 leaves fresh sage
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- 4 slices of hearty bread
- Pre-heat panini maker
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread.Place buttered side of bread down, spread apple butter evenly over each slice of bread.Layer the cheese on each slice of bread, then layer the apples.Next layer the turkey on each slice of bread, followed by the sage on two slices.Carefully place the pieces of bread together to make 2 sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches on pre-heated panini press and close to press the sandwiches together. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the bread is crispy and browned. Serve warm.