White Lasagna with Artichokes and Sun Dried Tomatoes is a creamy take on a traditional Italian comfort food dish.
I have been eating really light and healthy lately and man, was I craving some serious comfort food this weekend. I thought I'd make a traditional lasagna but since Meatball Sub Casserole is on the menu for later in the week, I didn't want another marinara sauce based dish.
In order to keep things on the easy side, I used jarred Alfredo sauce but feel free to make your own if you are anti-jarred sauce.
Steps To Make this White Lasagna
Start off the same as with traditional lasagna by cooking pasta noodles, draining and setting aside. Let the noodles cool just enough to be able to handle without burning your hands. While noodles are cooking, stir together filling ingredients.
Spread a thin layer of alfredo sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan and add a layer of noodles. On top of the noodles you will spread a layer of the ricotta mixture. Spoon a little bit of sauce over that and repeat the process.
Your last layer should be noodle with Alfredo sauce on top and then sprinkle that with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for a half hour, remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is getting all bubbly.
Is There Meat In This Recipe?
I am the first to admit a mistake. So here it goes. There was supposed to be chicken in this White Lasagna. I bought chicken. I even bought pre-cooked chicken so I wouldn't have to bother cooking it. Guess where that chicken is now? Sitting right there in my fridge. So I guess you make the call, add some chicken or ground sausage or don't. I honestly didn't miss the chicken but I have a feeling my husband did. Know your family and go with what they would want.
What Kind of Pan is a Lasagna Pan?
The lasagna pan I use is a 4 qt casserole baking pan. Typically, it is a bit longer and wider than a standard casserole dish which is 13x9. If you only have access to a 13x9 that's fine too but it might be a tight fit to get it all in.
White Lasagna With Artichokes and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 16 oz lasagna noodles
- 32 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz marinated artichokes drained and chopped
- 8.5 oz sun dried tomatoes julienne style
- 1.5 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- black pepper
- 30 oz Alfredo Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook noodles according to box instructions. Drain noodles and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together ricotta, eggs, tomatoes, artichokes, mozzarella and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of alfredo sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan. Cover pan in a layer of noodles, slightly overlap each noodle. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture over noodles. Pour a thin layer of alfredo sauce over the ricotta layer.
- Repeat layer 2 more times. Your top layer should be noodle and sauce without the ricotta layer. Sprinkle an additional cup of mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and place back in oven for another 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
- Allow lasagna to cool slightly before slicing.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil before serving.