This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MMsCarrotCake #CollectiveBias
M&M's® Carrot Cake Trifle - Making a beautiful trifle for Easter couldn't be easier than with boxed cake mix and a bag of M&M's®.
Easter is coming. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if there is still several feet of snow on the ground. It doesn't matter if it's 20 degrees. It doesn't matter what the heck that groundhog said last month. I never believe that little guy anyway. It's coming. Plain and simple.
Since it's appearing to be sneaking up on me quickly, I finally decided to start my Easter menu planning. We host here at my home. I do all the cooking for the meal. I do it all, not because the others aren't willing to pitch in, they are, but because I'm obnoxious about what I serve and how I serve it. Thankfully they all put up with me and my narcissistic cooking ways.
Now that I've eluded to the fact that I go all "Fancy Nancy" with the meal, I'll let you in on a secret when it comes to dessert...... I Cheat. Yep. I'm a cheater. My desserts are almost always half homemade. I usually only contribute one or two desserts to the table and my in-laws bring the rest but none of mine are labors of love. But they are delicious. I usually will poll the family and ask them what they want me to make and I find a way to take a shortcut.
This year I was told Carrot Cake. Carrot Cake, I can work with that. I love Carrot Cake.
Once I got the Carrot Cake on the brain, me and little Miss Nora head out to Walmart to grab some Carrot Cake boxed mix (ssshh, don't tell the family). As we were looking for the right aisle we detoured down the Seasonal/Candy aisle per little Miss Thing's prompting and as we were grabbing her
bribe for behaving in the store favorite treat of Milk Chocolate M&M's® we spied a new variety, M&M's® Carrot Cake! Perfect! I grabbed a few bags and had a new plan.
I decided that instead of working really hard to frost a beautiful carrot cake for dessert, I would bake a cake out of boxed mix, rip it up and make a trifle out of it and use the yummy M&M's® Carrot Cake as a layer in the whole beautiful thing!
There is one warning I must give you about making this dessert: Get more bags of M&M's® Carrot Cake than you think you need because snacking on them will happen along the way and there's not always a kid around to blame it on. Or so I've heard, wink - wink.
So that's my holiday dessert shortcut, what shortcuts do you take for the holidays?
Printable Recipe Card
M&M's® Carrot Cake Trifle
- 1 box Carrot Cake Mix + ingredients needed to prepare cake
- 16 oz refrigerated whipped topping
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 C prepared vanilla pudding
- 9.90 oz M&M's® Carrot Cake
- Optional: orange and green icing for decoration
- Prepare cake as per box instructions and allow to cool.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth in a large bowl. Add in the whipped topping and continue to beat on medium speed until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Cut cake into bite sized chunks.
- In a large glass bowl place a layer of cake. Top the cake with a layer of pudding, then whipped topping mixture. Sprinkle M&M's® over the whipped topping. Continue layers in the same order until bowl is full, ending with a whipped topping layer.
- Add M&M's® to top for decoration.
- Optional: Using orange and green icing, pipe a carrot on to top of trifle.