SunButter Monster Cookie Bars - A no bake, monster cookie bar that is not made with peanut butter. Instead, I've adapted a recipe to use SunButter.
When preparing recipes for someone who has food allergies, please be sure to read all your labels to ensure ingredients are indeed nut free. Also, please be advised, m&m's are manufactured in a facility with nuts. We choose to still consume these as her blood test numbers have decreased drastically, but some/most with nut allergies do not. There are nut free alternatives out there (Skippers, etc). Please take this into consideration before serving.
Most of you are aware by now that my daughter, Nora, has several food allergies. While she has outgrown her dairy and soy allergy, she still is testing positive for Peanut, Tree Nut, Chickpea, Sesame and Egg.
Having so many allergies has made it difficult for her to enjoy treats that her peers are eating or holiday treats. It's really hard living with a food allergy but she is such a trooper and for only 5 years old, she is so aware and smart about what she eats.
I'll admit, I'm having a bit of anxiety thinking of her going off to school full days this year. Full day kindergarten means she will be eating lunch at school. I will hold my breath every day around lunchtime, hoping and praying my phone doesn't ring.
Anyway, something I see floating around Pinterest all the time are monster cookie bars. They look pretty darn awesome. The downside? They are made with peanut butter. Bummer.
I decided to try out the recipe but tweak it just a little bit to make it okay for Nora to enjoy. I swapped out the peanut butter with sunbutter.
How To Store The Bars
Sunbutter tends to be a bit runnier than peanut butter so I do recommend storing these in the refrigerator. If left out they will get a little melty (is that a word?).
Nora had so much fun making these with me and even more fun devouring them! I plan on surprising her with a batch of these when she gets off the bus after her first day of big-girl school.
By the way, her brother, who swears he HATES SunButter, devoured about 4 of them before he asked what the main ingredient was. Gotta love kids!
Sunbutter Monster Cookie Bars
- ½ C butter softened
- ½ C sugar granulated
- ⅔ C brown sugar
- 1 C sunbutter
- ½ C flour all-purpose
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 C old fashioned oats
- ¾ C mini m&m or similar candy
- 1 ¼ C chocoloate chips semi sweet
- 3 T heavy cream
- ¼ C mini m&m or similar candy
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 cake pan with foil.
- In a bowl mix together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add sunbutter and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Stir flour into wet mixture, just until combined. Stir in oats. Fold in m&m's.
- Press mixture into lined pan.
- Place chocolate chips and heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, just until smooth, stirring often (This can also be done in the microwave by heating in 30 second increments).
- Pour chocolate over oat mixture. Top with remaining m&m's. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
- Store in refrigerator.