Cheesy Italian Chicken with Artichokes – Boneless chicken breasts seasoned with Italian seasoning, artichokes, tomatoes and capers and then topped with loads of fresh mozzarella cheese.
This chicken dinner is pretty simple but I have a tip to make it even easier. Use an oven-safe skillet so you only have to use one pan. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, no worries but you’ll have to transfer from skillet to baking dish.
Introducing The Flavor Makers:
- Chicken – I almost always prefer thighs but this recipe is the exception; it is best with boneless breasts.
- Italian seasoning – The blend I use contains marjoram, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and sage.
- Artichoke hearts – The marinated ones are the way to go. Artichokes packed in water just fall a little flat to me
- Capers – Use the small capers not the big ones. If you can only find those big ones, give them a rough chop
- Cheese – Fresh mozzarella is the way to go here. The pre-shredded stuff just doesn’t melt the same way. If mozzarella isn’t an option perhaps try provolone?
Making The Recipe:
Brown chicken in a skillet.
While chicken is browning, mix together all other ingredients except the cheese.
Top the chicken with mixed ingredients.
Top with cheese! Cheese is so wonderful isn’t it?
Bake it until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted to perfection.
Wondering what to serve with this Cheesy Italian Chicken with Artichokes? I served it atop a bed of angel hair pasta. I think rice, polenta, couscous or quinoa would also be great options.
[amazon-related-products keywords=”oven safe skillet”]
[amazon-related-products keywords=”Italian Cookbook”]
This simple chicken dish is surprisingly full of flavor considering how quick and easy it is to prepare. Be sure to use fresh mozzarella cheese for the best melt!
- 1 T olive oil
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 14 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts quartered and drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 C capers
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese fresh
- 3 large basil leaves chiffonade
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, stir together artichokes, tomatoes, garlic, capers and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large, oven-safe skillet, over medium/high heat. Add chicken. Cook chicken until nicely browned on one side. Flip chicken over.
Pour artichoke mixture over and around chicken. Top everything with sliced mozzarella.
Remove pan from stove and place in oven. Bake, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes to brown cheese.
Top with fresh basil just before serving.