Leftover meatballs paired with marinara, provolone and mozzarella cheeses, basil and your favorite bread for a hearty Meatball Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Pair this cheesy sandwich with a side salad, fries or tots to make it a family friendly dinner that is ready in minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Heat up meatballs.
Butter the outsides of the bread.
Layer all the ingredients and cook in a skillet.
Tip: To get your bread all golden and perfect, brush on the melted butter. I used to just spread butter on the bread but it always comes out all uneven. I find the melted butter is the way to go.
Meatballs - leftover meatballs, turkey meatballs, pre-cooked chicken meatballs
Cheese - any type of good melting cheese will work, fontina would be a good choice
Printable Recipe Card
Meatball Grilled Cheese
- 2 Slices Bread Homestyle or Italian Bread best
- 1 T Butter melted
- 3 Meatballs leftover or precooked I used Italian Chicken Meatballs, sliced.
- 2 T Marinara Sauce
- 2 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 1 oz Mozzarella Cheese fresh is best, cut into slices
- 2 Basil Leaves Chiffonade
- On one slice of the bread, place the provolone slices next to each other, slightly overlapping. Spread the sauce over the provolone and top the sauce with the basil and then the meatball slices. Place the mozzarella next and then top with remaining slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium/high heat.
- Brush the outer sides of bread with the butter and place on heated skillet. Press down with spatula. Cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook another 2-3 minutes. Sandwich is done when golden brown and cheese melted.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com