This copycat version of the popular Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps is ready in about 30 minutes (less really) and really packs in some flavor. Think taco night but with an Asian flavor profile.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps was originally published 6/27/2013 and was updated 2/23/21.
I've had people ask me if this recipe is a CopyCat P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps. My answer to that question is, I have no idea. I've never had them, so I'm not sure how close they are.
These Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are just something I had once from a local take out restaurant and did some googling research. I experimented, combined a little of this and a little of that and concocted this recipe. These Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are basically the love child of about 25 other recipes that I deconstructed and put back together.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please visit my disclosure page
Chicken or Beef?
You can use whichever one you want. I like chicken or turkey because it's lean which does away with the need to drain the fat from the skillet. There is so much flavor infused into the meat that ground beef isn't necessary but it's totally up to you.
This recipe was first published by me in 2013. At that time I used peanut butter and water chestnuts. However, since then, we have added peanut allergy to list of ailments in our home. Because of the allergy, I have changed the recipe to SunButter. Also, when first published, I used water chestnuts. As luck would have it, the last few times I've prepared these lettuce wraps, I've been out of water chestnuts and omitted them. I didn't miss them, so I'm calling them optional.
Something else I do on occasion now is stir in some sriracha or chili garlic sauce for a little heat.
Easy Prep & Steps
Start off by browning the chicken with the carrots. Then toss in the other veg and cook for a few minutes.
Add all the other ingredients and cook a few minutes until everything is warm and a sauce forms and coats it all.
Lay out your lettuce leaf, place a scoop of rice in the center and top it off with a scoop of the chicken mixture.
Fold up the lettuce and eat it taco style!
Printable Recipe Card
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or fresh ginger
- 2 green onions chopped
- ½ cup chopped snow peas
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sunbutter or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 8-10 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 2 cups prepared white rice
Optional ingredients to stir in with vegetables:
- 1 can chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil then chicken and carrot. Cook, breaking up, until no longer pink. No need to drain if using chicken, however, if using beef, drain excess grease from pan. Stir in garlic, ginger, green onions and snow peas. Cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in sunbutter, teriyaki and hoisin. Continue to cook, just until heated through, about 4-5 minutes.
- To assemble, place a scoop of rice in center of lettuce leap and top with chicken mixture. Fold up the sides as you would a taco and enjoy!