This Chocolate Banana Bread or rather Double Chocolate Banana Bread to be exact is a chocolate version of my family's favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Today I opened my pantry and saw a big bunch of bananas looking pretty brown. I figured it was the perfect excuse to whip up some banana bread.
I like to make banana bread two at a time so I can freeze one for later. Although, if I am being realistic, my family usually devours both before one makes it to the freezer.
How did I come up with this Recipe?
I once tried a new banana bread recipe (that wasn't my own) for my son who claims to be the king of banana bread and he was disgusted with me. Seriously, he hated it and made me vow NEVER to use anyone else's banana bread recipe.
So, with Josh in mind, I decided I better use the same base that I use when I make his favorite banana bread.
The only changes I made to the original recipe to make this a Chocolate Banana Bread were:
- omit cinnamon
- addition of cocoa powder
- addition of sour cream
- chocolate chunks
The reason for the addition of sour cream was that since I was adding some more dry ingredient with the cocoa powder, I was afraid it would end up on the dry side. I thought maybe adding some more of a wet ingredient would help. A baker, I am not. I have told you this before. All that science that goes into baking is not for me. That said, it worked beautifully.
Maybe I am a baker after all?
Just kidding, I am not.
Breakfast or Dessert?
It's whatever you want it to be. It's perfect alongside a cup of coffee so sure, you can down a slice for breakfast. You can also have it as a midday snack but it's also decadent enough to have as dessert. Just eat it.
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 eggs
- ¾ C canola oil or vegetable
- ¾ C brown sugar
- ½ C sugar granulated
- 4 bananas over ripe, mashed
- ¼ C sour cream
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 3 ½ C flour all purpose
- ½ C cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 C chocolate chips semi sweet (+ more for top if desired)
- Spray two loaf pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine eggs, oil and sugars together with a stand mixer or a handheld. Add in bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat again until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- If desired top each one with more chocolate chunks.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes (give or take 5 minutes).
- Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
Interested in more Banana Bread recipes other than this Chocolate Banana Bread? Here you go:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread
- My BEST Banana Bread
- Egg Free Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Cake
- Finlandia Banana Bread